MEMPHIS, Tenn. ̵
The victim's family said they knew some bacteria can infect through open wounds and cuts, but they had no idea his compromised immune system may have him at risk too
READ: Beaches along the Mississippi gulf coast closed after toxic bacteria found in water
“We never would have let my dad in the water if we would have known that he shouldn't have been there Said that Cheryl Wiygul, the victim's daughter, was visiting Destin Beach in Florida last week.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to your neighborhood
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Less than 12 hours later, Wiygul said her father started to get sick. Initially, she thought it was related to his cancer treatment.
However, when he got back to Memphis, a large black sore was on his back. Then red lumps formed on his arms and legs.
"(It was) something we had seen before, and just within a few hours of being at the hospital, he had to be in the ICU. He turned septic and went into cardiac arrest, ”said Wiygul. "Just within 48 hours of being in that water he was gone." According to Wiygul, her father died from bacteria that is already naturally occurring in the Gulf of Mexico, but the flesh-eating symptoms are usually very rare.
However, Wiygul said they had no idea his compromised immune system would put him at a greater risk of infection from the bacteria
She shared what happened to her father on Facebook, and now she wants more warnings about the possible risks posted on signs as you are in beaches and state parks.
I love the beach, my dad loved the beach. That was his favorite place to go, but it's not worth your life to go, ”said Wiygul.“ So, maybe you need to reschedule if you have a big cut or just had surgery, don't go to the beach.
“At least you can go next year, like now my dad can't go next year.” An infectious disease specialist told FOX13 this week that these flesh-eating bacteria are very rare.
© 2019 Cox Media Group