Home / World / When the administrator cancels foreign aid cancellation, the Pence and Ivanka Trump projects are ready

When the administrator cancels foreign aid cancellation, the Pence and Ivanka Trump projects are ready



The official told CNN that Women's Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP), protection of Christian minorities worldwide, and programs related to global health are not subject to possible cuts in aid.

The official said it should come as no surprise that the president's political priorities would not be part of a potential proposal to Congress to suspend already appropriated funds, called rescue.

This official confirmed that the administration is looking to proceed with a possible termination package, but did not specify the time. The fiscal year ends on September 30.

  Trump administration freezes foreign aid funds pending review
CNN reported last week that the Office of Administration and Budget had temporarily taken the majority of congressionally approved foreign funds – pending a review by the Department of Foreign Affairs and the US Agency for International Development – in a move the critics said was an attempt by the administration to subvert Congress and suspend aid programs that advocates consider important to US interests.

A USAID official said last week that the frozen funding was between $ 2 billion and $ 4 billion.

An administrative official told CNN Friday that they had received the requested information from the state and USAID on the foreign aid funds Thursday evening and that the funds are now available.

"The administration has requested a temporary break in spending on selected foreign assistance accounts. This pause was valid until the State Department and USAID reported the unpaid balances in these accounts. After receiving the requested information last night and reviewing the reported money, now available, "the official said in a statement.

Bipartisan backlash

However, the funds are only partially available. A spokesman for USAID confirmed Wednesday that "as of Friday, August 9, OMB has issued a new allocation that will allow the Department of Foreign Affairs and USAID to force funds from the covered accounts up to a ceiling of approximately two percent of the remaining unbanked funds each day."

"The State Department and USAID are working with relevant agencies and services to implement OMB's revised allocation and expect to hear about the next steps in the coming days," the spokesman said.

An American official told CNN Wednesday that there had not yet been an official request to protect Ivanka Trump and Pence's foreign aid programs. Ivanka Trump launched 50 million W-GDP in February. In July 2018, Pence announced a new initiative to help religious and ethnic communities persecuted by ISIS, beginning in Iraq.

The prospect of a dismissal package has drawn the cross-party backlash and condemnation from advocates. Congress defeated a similar effort last year.

On Friday, presidents and ranking members of both the Foreign and Senate committees on Friday drafted a letter to Acting Chief of Staff at the White House Mick Mulvaney and Acting Office of Administration and Budget Director Russell Vought urged them to lift the freeze on these funds and do not submit a recession package.

  Foreign Secretary resigns in blatant criticism of Trump

"It would be inappropriate for any administration, under any circumstances Such measures would be prejudicial and directly violative of the principle of power distribution upon which our nation was built, "wrote the legislators.

" As the leader of congressional committees with oversight of US foreign policy and appropriate resource development and implementation of development and diplomacy programs, we would have to use all the tools at our disposal to respond appropriately if such measures were taken, "Sen. Jim Risch, an Idaho Republican, Senator Bob Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, and Rep. Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat, and Rep. Michael McCaul, a Tea xas Republican, wrote.

"We strongly urge the administration not to submit a new termination package to Congress and try to assure you that no such package will come forward," the lawmakers wrote.

Last week, Liz Schrayer, president of the US Global Leadership Council, condemned OMB's act as "reckless and irresponsible."

"These are programs that are in our interest," she told CNN. "If we remove ourselves from the playing field, we do it at our own risk. These are programs that we use to promote our financial and security interests and I find it really surprising that the administration is withdrawing what is less than 1% of our entire budget when there are such big threats in the world. "


Source link