Home / US / What we know about shooting by officer Michael Chesna and Vera Adams

What we know about shooting by officer Michael Chesna and Vera Adams

Weymouth Police Michael Chesna's shift on Sunday was almost over when he was killed .

Working midnight to 8:00, he responded with his colleagues after the Weymouth police department began searching in the area around the South Shore Hospital for a suspect who had been exposed to leave a car crash around 7:30 pm

The authorities said A confrontation that followed Emanuel "Manny" took Lopes Chesna's weapon and shot the six-year veteran of the Department in his head and chest before flying on foot. According to the authorities, he fired several additional shots when he was hunted by law enforcement and badly injured an elderly woman in his home.

The 20-year-old from Weymouth is expected to be arrested during the week of murder charges.

Here's what we know about the shot that has shaken the South Shore community and left police departments, politicians and civil servants ] over the state in sorrow .

How the shot was developed

Police on stage at Burton Terrace in Weymouth. -Scott Requirements for Boston Globe

The Norfolk District lawyer said the events about shooting started at 7:32 am on Sunday, when the police department in Weymouth had a conversation about an uneven driver near the South Shore Hospital. Defendant officers came across a lone car accident near by a BMW. The driver had seen leaving the scene on foot.

"[The] The Weymouth Police Department responded and began to search for this person, this suspect, in the local area," Assistant District Attorney Gregory Connor told a Sunday press conference. "One of these officers was officer Michael Chesna."

Chesna responded to the Burton Terrace area in his police cruiser.

DA's office said the 42-year-old officer saw suspected, later identified as Lopes, "actively vandalizing" a home.

Boston Globe reports that Lopes claims to throw stones in a home on the street.

Chesna came out of his car, "pulled his firearm and ordered this man to stop," Connor said.

Lopes then believes he has attacked Chesna and hit him in the head with a "big stone" according to DA's office.

The officer fell to the ground.

"Lope then fetched Officer Chesna's firearm and released it several times in his head and chest," Connor said Sunday.

According to Globen the Chesna shot was four times.

Another officer who arrived at the scene began to "return fire" on Lopes, who was hit under the knee on one of the legs, officials said.

Lopes then flew on foot, still wearing Chesna's weapon, and was persecuted by Weymouth police.

"During the hunt through the yards in Burton Terrace, it is assumed that Mr. Lopes released Chesna's firearm three more times and hit a local resident in his home," Connor said. "These wounds were deadly to her."

April Visco, living in the neighborhood, told Globe she heard 10 to 20 shots in a hurry around 7:30 and ran outside, where she heard someone screaming, "Come on the ground "three times.

She told the newspaper that she later saw officers crying and hugging each other.

Lopes was taken prison shortly after he fired the shots and was transported to the South Shore Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, DA's office said.

Chesna was also taken to nearby hospitals, but did not survive his wounds.

"This is a horrible day for Weymouth and Massachusetts," said District Attorney Michael Morrissey in a statement. "Our hearts are great with the surviving families of these victims."

What we know about the suspected

Lopes had been arrested at least twice before by the Weymouth Police, Globe reports . In September 2017, he was arrested to vandalize a dry cleaner.

One month later, the 20-year-old was charged in October to sell cocaine to minors and resist arrest, according to Patriot Ledger . He ran from officers and later arrested using a police K-9.

A 2017 booking photo of Emanuel Lopes. -Weymouth Police Department / Handout

"We have fought with him before" a police report about the event specified, according to Ledger .

CBS Boston reports Lopes was on trial in connection with that arrest and had been ordered to submit random drug testing.

Norfolk DA's office said it was Monday morning that Lopes was hospitalized and time and place for his arraignment had not yet been decided.

Lawyer information to Lopes was not immediately available.

What family and friends say about the victims

A police in Weymouth is embraced during a procession outside the state medical office in Boston. – Jessica Rinaldi / Boston Globe

On Monday, Chesna would have celebrated his sixth anniversary to work for the Weymouth Police Department, said Chief Richard Grimes during Sunday's press conference.

Chesna, who was an army veteran, leaves a wife and two children between the ages of 4 and 9.

The boss said that Chesna's mother said on Sunday that her son joined the military with the hope that it would open doors to him to get a job with the Weymouth Police Department.

Grimes said that the 42-year-old was assigned to the department's traffic department, which worked between midnight and 8:00.

"He was just a big family man, he was a great officer," said Grimes. "I would see him coming in from the street in the morning, he always had a kind word and a good attitude. He was one of the people who really sought the job, happy to get it and appreciated it very much. And we appreciated it very much much his service to the Weymouth Police Department. "

Officer Michael Chesna, December 10, 2012. -Gary Higgins / Quincy Patriot Ledger via AP

Chesna's father in law, Francis Doran, 78, Marshfield, told for Globe the shooter had "no mercy" and said he was worried about his grandchildren.

"I do not know what's going to happen to Mike and Cindy's boy and girl," Doran said. "I do not know how much a 4 year old understands, how much a 9 year old understands. They absolutely loved his father."

Doran told Globe his daughter, Cynthia, met the Chesna for about 15 years ago when they worked in the same bar in Quincy. Chesna worked there to help pay for the criminal degree he pursued on the northeast, said Doran and the couple married before Chesna served two trips with the army, in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

The couple and their children had lived in Hanover for the last three years, according to Globe .

Weymouth police department said a fund was set up to help the slain officer's family.

"Mike was all you want someone to be," Joe Sgambato Sr., whose son was a friend of Chesna and also a Weymouth police, told Globe .

On Sunday evening there was an in-depth memorial to the outside of the Weymouth Police Department and a procession of local service vehicles acted as an escort that Chesna's body was taken to the state's medical examination office in Boston, welcomed by civilians and officers on their way, according to Globe .

The police are greeted along Main Street in Weymouth on Sunday, when Chesna's body is driven to the state medical examination office in Boston. – Pat Greenhouse / Boston Globe

Liz Herron was among those who stood by the road on Sunday and told Ledger by tears she had just seen Chesna the day before.

"I saw him and he said" I'll see you tomorrow, "she said." He was the best guy in the world. Nobody can say a bad thing about Mike. I just can not believe it.

Vera Adams. -Beatriz Sheridan and Arlene Vieira

The authorities say they hold the name of the elderly woman who was killed in her home, awaiting the closest family announcements

But a family member and friend identified her to Globe as 77-year-old Vera Adams, a widow who had no children.

Sandra Boucher, Adams son-in-law, told Globen the lifelong Weymouth resident was a " wonderful person "and an avid reader.

" She had many friends, but she was very fond of keeping herself mostly, "she said.

A candle guard for Chesna and Adam is scheduled until 19:00 Monday at Weymouth High School.

Flowers grace arrived by Weymouth police station on Winter Street. -Pat Greenhouse / Globe Staff

Source link