The Venice Film Festival will continue as planned this fall, the region’s governor confirmed on Sunday.
Luca Zaia, Governor of Veneto, said that the world’s longest film festival, which will take place September 2-12, is still on. The official’s confirmation comes days after Venice Biennale, which oversees the film festival among a number of other art events, moved its Biennale of Architecture to 2021, but maintained the film festival’s fall date. In the past, architecture and film festivals were supposed to overlap.
Zaia said on Sunday that the Architectural Biennial was postponed due to complications in designing the necessary pavilions. The film festival will continue, although he warned that there will probably be fewer films this year.
Venice examined a wide range of film industry executives in early May to ask for concerns and suggestions on the upcoming edition, reported by Amount. The letter, signed by Venice̵
“We know that it would simply be impossible to plan a festival without knowing if you all are willing to use the festival to give a fresh start and a strong sign to stay alive in cinema, even in these difficult times,” he wrote Barbera. The letter also asked producers and sales agents about “the concrete opportunity to bring (talent) to follow the invited films.”
Obviously, the organizers – who were expected to make a decision by the end of May – are now confident that the party can proceed as planned, although the appearance of the event will be different this year, as public health measures must be taken into account. The festival has not yet commented on the plans for September.
Venice previously stated that it would not go the virtual route, but made clear in its industry survey that it is considering a “virtual screening room, using a secure online platform” for those who will not be able to participate but who have previously been accredited. In January, the party revealed that Cate Blanchett would serve as the jury’s president.
Italy will open its borders to European travelers on June 3 and undergo mandatory quarantine restrictions for incoming travel. The country, which was among the most severely affected by coronavirus in Europe, has slowly come out of lockdown in recent weeks, although 32,775 fatalities have been reported so far.