The owner of a store selling electronic cigarettes shows how to use one.
Sean Gallup | Getty Images
Doctors at a Detroit hospital performed a double lung transplant on a man whose lungs were damaged from vaping.
No other details about the transplant were released on Monday by the Henry Ford Health System, which has scheduled a news conference Tuesday. The patient has asked his medical team to share photographs and an update to warn others about vaping.
More than 2,000 Americans with guns have fallen ill since March, many of them teenagers and young adults, and at least 40 people have died.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week announced a breakthrough in the cause of a vaping disease outbreak and identified a chemical compound as a "very strong culprit." Vitamin E acetate was previously found in liquid from electronic cigarettes and other steamers used by many people who became ill and has recently been used as a vaporizing liquid thickener.
Many who became ill said that they had armed liquids containing THC's high-inducing portion of marijuana.