UFC star Conor McGregor announced his unexpected departure from mixed martial arts on Monday, in a post on social media.
The message came a few hours after McGregor, 30, told "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" that he and the UFC negotiated a potential return to the Octagon in July.
Hello guys instant message, I have decided to retire from the sport formally called "Mixed Martial Art" today.
I wish all my old colleagues well
– Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
19659004] "We are in talks for July," McGregor said in his Tonight Show appearance. "We see what's happening, a lot of politics is going on. The fighting game is an angry game. But, as I said, to my fans, I'm in shape and I'm ready."
"I've done my part for the company. I don't necessarily have to fight. I'm set on life. My family is set to life. We're good, but I'm eager to fight. So we see what's happening. I am ready. "
UFC President Dana White told ESPN that McGregor's retirement" makes sense. "White also said he believes the message is legitimate.
"He has the money to retire, and his [Proper 12] whiskey is KILLIN it, White says via SMS." It is completely meaningful. If I were him I would retire as well. He retires from fighting. Not from working. Whiskey will keep him busy, and I'm sure he has other things he works on.
"He has been so fun to watch !!! He has done incredible things in this sport. I am so fond of him, and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside the Octagon as he was in it. "
McGregor (21-4) has previously" retired "on social media. In April 2016, he announced on Twitter: "I have decided to retire." Thanks for the cheese. Catch you later. "
At that time, McGregor and the UFC were in negotiations for a possible fight at the UFC 200. McGregor did not ultimately hit the UFC 200, but he appeared in the Octagon a month later in a very profitable second fight against his rival Nate Diaz.
McGregor's representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.