Home / US / The Washington Post issues major correction after trotting Trump’s Twitter post

The Washington Post issues major correction after trotting Trump’s Twitter post



The Washington Post sparked massive confusion Wednesday night after he incorrectly reported that President Trump was banned from tweeting because of a claim he made about the coronavirus.

Both Facebook and Twitter broke out on clips shared from the president’s interview on “Fox & Friends” earlier in the day, where he continued his drive for schools to reopen in the fall. However, the tech giants removed clips from him claiming that children are “almost immune” to the virus, citing the claim was “misinformation.”

The Team Trump campaign account had uploaded the video on Twitter, in a post that the president later shared on his personal account.

After Twitter disabled the video, the platform further punished Team Trump by banning the account from tweeting until it took the original post.

However, the Post apparently got its lines crossed when they reported what happened.

FACEBOOK REMOVES TRUMP POST OF CORONAVIRUS MISINFORMATION RULES; TWITTER AND CLAMPS DOWN

“Breaking: Twitter said it will require President Trump to remove a post containing incorrect information about coronavirus and banning him from tweeting until he does,”

; the post began its bold text report. “Twitter hid the post and said he will not be able to tweet from his account until he deletes it, although he can appeal the decision.”

The Post then shared a quote from a Twitter spokesman who appeared to be referring to the president instead of his campaign, saying the tweet was “in violation of Twitter rules on misinformation about COVID-19. The account owner will be required to delete the Tweet before they can Tweet again.” “

Several Washington Post journalists shared the incorrect information on Twitter and spread the report across the platform. Later, they deleted their tweets.

The paper finally made a correction, writing at the bottom of the report, “Twitter punished Team Trump, the president’s campaign account. An earlier version of this article said that Twitter punished President Trump’s account.”

Facebook and Twitter confirmed to Fox News that they were taking action against the videos uploaded by the Trump campaign.

“This video contains false allegations that a group of people are immune to COVID-19 which is a violation of our policy on malicious COVID misinformation,” Facebook spokeswoman Liz Bourgeois told FOX News in a statement.

CLICK HERE TO GET FOX NEWS APP

A Twitter speaker similarly told FOX News that the tweet was “in violation of Twitter rules about incorrect information about COVID-19” and that the Trump campaign would “be required to remove the Tweet before they can Tweet again.”

Trump campaign spokeswoman Courtney Parella told FOX News that President Trump “states a fact that children are less susceptible to the coronavirus.”

“Another day, another display of Silicon Valley’s fluttering bias against this president, where the rules are only enforced in one direction,” she added. “Social media companies are not the arbitrators of the truth.”

Fox News’ Lucas Manfredi contributed to this story.


Source link