Home / World / The voices of an English city warn London: "Do not betray our Brexit"

The voices of an English city warn London: "Do not betray our Brexit"



CHESTERFIELD, England (Reuters) – As Britain seizes whether to leave the EU, some voters in an old English city have a message to politicians in London: Don't bet Brexit.

FILE PHOTO: An anti-Brexit protest is seen outside Parliament in London, UK on January 1

7, 2019. REUTERS / Clodagh Kilcoyne / File Photo

The United Kingdom's labyrinthine crisis over EU membership is nearing its end with an additional set of options including weddings without a wedding, a last minute offer, a snap choice or a delay and a new referendum.

In Chesterfield, a northern city that could be hit by the economy, if Britain was released from the EU, some voters were clear that they would prefer to leave without a deal and would turn away from the policy of Brexit disappearing.

"There must be no agreement – and we will not all die and crumble. We are Britain, remember!" Said Valerie Quigley, 70, a leader resident who traditionally voted for the Conservative Party, led by Prime Minister Theresa May.

Quigley, who has owned a women's clothing store for 26 years, said that May did a good job under difficult circumstances.

"If anyone else thinks they can do better than Theresa May, let them continue with that," Quigley said.

"I believe in Brussels and the EU that they are afraid that they will die."

With an uncertain little selection, the answers in the Chesterfield show the difference between 17.4 million members and an elite in London who are predominantly damaging Brexit.

Once a reluctant supporter of EU membership who won the best work in the concerns that followed the Brenda referendum of 2016, has warned against opposing the vote will threaten social cohesion by undermining faith in British democracy.

SPLITNATION

In a step that may turn centuries of constitutional convention, some legislators want to take control of Brexit from the government to prevent what they say would be an economically disastrous, no departure.

In 2016, 51.9 percent of voters supported leaving the EU while 48.1 percent benefited.

Polling shows that the UK remains deeply divided, but a narrow majority now benefits to stay.

Research suggests that very few members have changed, and that some surveys seem to provide increased support for another referendum, the results vary depending on the issue.

In Chesterfield, a market town 150 miles (240 km) north of London that traces its history to Roman times and is known for a crooked church, voters left to have a clean break with the club that Britain joined in 1973. [19659004] "We voted to either stay in the European Union or leave the European Union. There was not a box to tick for a deal. I voted to leave," said David Mawson, 51, who runs a business.

None agreement means that there would be no transition so that the exit would be abrupt – the nightmare scenario for international companies and the dream of "hard" Brexiteers who want a decisive split.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said leaving the EU without transition be similar to the oil shaker in the 1970s, although some Brexiteers say such forecasts are intimidating tactics.

Chesterfield's Member, Toby Perkins from Oppo The Labor Party, last year, warned at a nearby Toyota factory that a non-agreeing Brexit would have a devastating impact on the automotive industry.

Nearly 80 people from Chesterfield are employed at the factory, Perkins said. Toyota has said that it is not possible that Brexit can temporarily stop production at the factory.

STOP DEMOCRACY

Perkins, whose constituency has been controlled by Labor for much of the 20th century, voted to stay in the 2016 referendum, but voted against the May agreement on January 15.

Deborah Chattaway, a 52-year-old sleep stress, voted Labor in the 2017 election but said she would not vote for them again. She voted to stay in the EU but fears a lack of Brexit and therefore thinks that Work and other parties should rally around May.

"I think all parties, Work and the rest have to get behind Theresa May and get us a lot for the country and let us get it through, best for everyone," she said.

But the fear of "treason" is acute.

"If they go back to this vote, how can we ever have another vote on something?" Sa Mawson, who voted for conservative at the last election.

Jesse Lilley, 66, a former factory worker, used to vote for Labor but thinks it no longer represents the working classes.

He wants to leave without an agreement and is worried that politicians will stop Brexit.

"They will regret the Pandora's box and they don't know what will come out," Lilley said.

"Betray them and then say we should have another choice or vote? People will not only interfere. It will cause problems for the next twenty years."

Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne

Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source link