Published: 4 July 2020, 10: 38h.
Last updated: July 4, 2020, 12:12 pm.
Some Las Vegas casinos may voluntarily close their doors due to concerns about coronavirus following what promises to be a generally optimistic weekend of July 4 for gaming properties and tourism.
“We hear that some Las Vegas casinos may be temporarily closed due to COVID-19 concerns,” Vital Vegas, a popular online media site, reported on Friday. “A reliable source believes the Venetian has plans to close, again, after the July 4th weekend.”
The Venetian ending, if it takes place, would be for a week to 10 days, the report added. But in the middle of the day on Saturday, the Venetian released a tweet saying, “These rumors on social media about a planned closure of the resort are false.”
We have also heard that frontline employees at Caesars Palace have relayed to guests that the resort temporarily closes after the long weekend, ” Vital Vegas reported further. “These rumors are unconfirmed, but it is unlikely that any casino would telegraph such moves en route to what is expected to be a busy July 4th weekend.”
There is no immediate word if Caesars Palace denies it rumors.
Despite rumors, several weeks and hotels in the Las Vegas Strip were reopened this week after long closures because of the pandemic. KLAS, a local TV station, reported that these include Mandalay Bay, Delano, Aria, Waldorf Astoria and Four Seasons. Other Las Vegas casinos resumed limited activity last month.
Visitors seen on the strip on the 4th of July weekend
As of Friday (July 3), more tourists were seen on the strip than previous days, but far fewer pedestrians were present than before the pandemic. Many of them drove to the strip from states like neighbor Nevada, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
For example, Los Angeles residents, Nicole and Paul Viazcan, came prepared with wipes, hand sanitizer and Lysol, Review-Journal said. They last visited Las Vegas in January and noted the many pedestrians on Friday who did not wear masks.
At the Bellagio Fountains, Jaylen Torres and her hubby, Abisai Garcia, said they drove to Las Vegas for the day from Salt Lake City. They planned to visit Linq Hotel’s High Roller.
“It seems slow,” Garcia told Review-Journal about vibe and audience size. “Businesses are not open that early,” he added.
Nate Johnson, a Illinois resident who often visits Nevada with his wife, told me Review-Journal Las Vegas is “not as fun” during the pandemic as it was before the COVID-19 outbreak. They live on Bellagio but in the future they will not return to the city until Gov. Steve Sisolak’s 26-face mask public rule has expired.
(There are) many more rules, and usually people come to Vegas because there are no rules, “Johnson added Review-Journal. “It’s definitely not the same Vegas.”
The crowds at Bellagio and its gaming floor were “small but steady” Friday morning, the Review-Journal is also reported. The guests basically wore masks, but coverings on some players at table games could not cover their noses Review-Journal said. A female slot machine player lowered her mask under her chin while smoking a cigarette, the report adds. At Flamingo, most players wore masks, but many facial coatings were lowered under their noses or pressed down when smoked.
Some pedestrians and others on Las Vegas Boulevard in the middle of the day on Friday chose not to wear masks perhaps due to warm summer temperatures, Review-Journal also reported.
Sisolak warns of companies that have to follow the face mask rule
Before the weekend of July 4, only 49 percent of businesses, such as bars, restaurants and other businesses, complied with Sisolak’s stricter face protection rule, according to the Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) based on over 200 inspections conducted on Thursday, KSNV reported, a local TV station. Since the worm rule came into effect, the company’s compliance rate was 85 percent in northern Nevada and 65 percent in southern Nevada, OSHA says.
The news led to a stern warning from the governor. “The number of discrepancies reported by state officials is disappointing and unacceptable a week after the Face Protection Directive was issued,” Sisolak said.
If these moving reports of non-compliance continue, I will not hesitate to take swift and decisive action next week targeting targeted industries or areas experiencing COVID-19 trends and non-compliance, ”the governor adds.
Companies that do not meet the requirements can face a maximum fine of $ 134,940. The governor’s admonition comes as Las Vegas casinos and hotels face increasing coronavirus cases among their workers and increases seen among the public.
On Friday, there were 576 new cases of COVID-19 in Nevada’s Clark County. It marks the fifth time in the last six days that the Southern Nevada health district reported at least 500 new cases of coronavirus in a daily report. Several Las Vegas casino officials tested positive for COVID-19 in recent weeks Review-Journal said.