CAIRO – Power-sharing talks in Sudan between the ruling military junta and the leaders of a powerful protest movement collapsed on Wednesday after violent collapse erupted in the capital Khartoum for the second time this week.
The ruling military The Transitional Council said it was uninterrupted to interrupt the negotiations, which only seemed hours earlier.
But then security officers opened fire on protesters who apparently in an attempt to clear control points from the city center and wound at least nine people and leading
At the beginning of the night, an uncertainty hung over Khartoum and marked another turbulent day in the political crisis who has been suing Sudan since last month's concern by President Omar Hassan al-Bashir.
But they admitted that an important point remains undissolved: the composition of the governing body that will power until elections are held.
Thousands of protesters demanding an immediate transition to civilian rule have camped at the gates of the military headquarters, since Mr Al-Bashir, who ruled Sudan for 30 years and became one of Africa's most sustained dictators, was top-ranked on April 11.  The largely peaceful atmosphere had split Monday night when members of the security forces fired tear gas and live rounds at protesters. At least four people were killed and dozens more injured.
Despite the first confusion about the warning people's identity, both sides blamed security parties who were still loyal to mr. Bashir. The United States told military military on Tuesday.  The death was "clearly the result of the transitional military council trying to impose its will on the protesters by trying to remove roadblocks," said the US Embassy in a statement from 19459007 on its Facebook page.
"The decision by security forces to escalate the use of force, including the unnecessary use of tear gas, led directly to the unacceptable violence later in the day when TMC could not control," it said.
Violence proposed dangerous divisions in Sudan's security forces, which resigned to a fractal mix of regular and paramilitary forces during Al-Bashir, and it seemed to revitalize power-sharing talks culminating in the news conference early Wednesday.
A military spokesman, Secretary-General Yasser al-Atta, said that the Alliance of Protest Groups would rule two-thirds of the seats on a 300-seat Transitional Legislative Council. Other opposition parties would hold the rest.
He said the two sides would spend the first half of the transition period negotiating peace agreements with rebel groups from Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan, who have fought for the state for years.
The three-year transitional period is a compromise between military demand for a two-year period and protesters who wanted four years.
But during the conversation, an important point point has been the composition of the sovereign council to sit over a technocratic, civilian dominated government. The generals who took power from Al-Bashir said they should be responsible and seemed to like the support of strong regional players, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.
Distrustful protesters, who say they have learned the lesson of the recent failed revolutions in countries such as Egypt, insist that they should hold power during the transition.
At the beginning of Wednesday, both sides pointed out that they were close to a completed deal. "Comments are close and, God willing, we will soon reach an agreement," protesting leader Satea al-Hajj, who came along with General al-Atta, told reporters.
General al-Atta echoed this view and vowed to reach an agreement that "meets people's desires".
Nevertheless, the uncertainty of the week's violence suggested that Sudan's fragile transition was in danger from armed elements of the country's broken security forces.