In 2020, Samsung will rely on the GALAXY Note 20 (in 4G and 5G editions) and the GALAXY Note20 Ultra (real top of the range). The edition with Plus in the name has disappeared, also because the Note 20 has a fairly large screen – 6.7 inches vs 6.9 inches for the Note20 Ultra.
Prices start at 950 euros for Note20 4G and 1023 euros for Note20 5G. There are several color variants: Mystic Bronze, Mystic Green and Mystic Gray. It starts with pre-order from 5 August and on the market from 21 August.
Europe and India will get the Note 20 with Exynos 990 processor, while the rest of the world will switch to Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+. As criticized as the Exynos 990 was compared to the Snapdragon 865, compared to the Snapdragon 865+, I predict a number of negative comments against the South Koreans.
Detailed specifications for Samsung GALAXY Note20:
- 6.7 inch flat / classic screen with Super AMOLED Plus panel and resolution 2400 x 1080 pixels, 393 ppi, compatible with HDR10, IP68 certification for resistance to contact with water and dust, refresh rate at 60Hz, monitor / body ratio 89 , 2%;
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ processor or Exynos 990, 8 GB LPDDR5 RAM and 128/256 GB storage space, without microSD card slot, the 4G model only comes in the configuration with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage *;
- Android 10;
- 5G in SA / NSA variants, 4G with speeds up to 2000 Mbps in download and 200 Mbps in upload, Wi-Fi 6 / axis, Bluetooth 5.-, USB type C-type 3.2, NFC, location via A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO and Beidou, ultrasonic fingerprint reader integrated in the screen, stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos certification and sound for headphones that got the AKG experience;
- 12 megapixels wide with f / 1.8 and OIS + Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, 64 megapixels telephoto with f / 2.0 and OIS, 12 megapixels ultra wide with f / 2.2, 8K posters with up to 24 fps, 4K at up to 60 fps, slow at 960 fps;
- 10 megapixel front camera with dual pixel AF and f / 2.2;
- 4300 mAh battery, 192 gr. for the 4G model and 194 gr. for the version with 5G and the dimensions 161.6 x 75.2 x 8.3 mm, S Pen of 3.04 gr. measuring 5.8 x 4.35 x 105.08 mm, 4096 recognized pressure levels;
*Interesting choice (theoretically, the 5G model must come with 256 GB of storage space, and 4G with 128 and 256 GB to get a lower price).
The S-pen on the Note20 has a latency of 26 ms, not in 9 ms like the one on the GALAXY Note20 Ultra (where the feedback is promised as the one writing on paper).
Air Gesture now allows control of the phone (Back function by pressing at the top, but new applications can also be accessed, etc.). With Samsung Notes, you can turn your cluttered handwriting into a readable one. PDF files or PowerPoint presentations can be edited and annotated. The link to the Windows feature has been updated (accessing mobile apps directly from your computer, running multiple apps simultaneously from your computer, creating shortcuts on your computer, Samsung Notes syncing with OneNote and Outlook, alerts with Outloo, To Do and law.
There are a number of integrated innovations in the GALAXY Note20 series that I will point out in a dedicated article.
At first glance, Samsung GALAXY Note20 has PRO and CONS points.
On PRO points I would put:
- The updated S Pen, which now has even more features – for those interested;
- optimized software (they worked specifically with Microsoft – the partnership to include Xbox games, etc.);
- the rest of the elements specific to a Samsung phone (stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos, design that relies on simplicity, multi-megapixel TV, etc.).
At CONTRA points I note:
- Exynos 990 in Europe when other countries receive it with Snapdragon 865 Plus (with the requested amount, it was so that Europe was placed in line with the rest of the world). It seems to me that they treat Europe with a lack of condescension, in the sense that I am sure they have a generous market share and do not feel seriously competed by other companies. Otherwise, I do not understand Samsung’s features. Until now, it was the United States with Qualcomm and the rest of the world with Exynos.
- missing microSD card slot (Note20 Ultra has it);
- 25W charge when other companies go up to 65W;
- 4G unit, the competition launches 5G phones without strictly 4G variants – it seems to me that I am a bit disabled.
We can expand the discussion in the comments section.