Home / US / Police: Wisconsin teenager gunned down grandparents

Police: Wisconsin teenager gunned down grandparents

A 17-year-old told investigators that he was fatally killing his grandparents and planned to injure him at his eastern Wisconsin high school, police said on Monday.

Police response to a 911 call for help found the bodies of 74-year-old Dennis Kraus and 73-year-old Letha Kraus in their home in Grand Chute around 11:30 am Sunday, official Travis Waas said. He refused to release details of the call.

Police arrested their grandchildren, Alexander M. Kraus in the home of the couple, Waas said. Kraus, who lives in nearby Neenah, admitted that he shot the couple, Waas said. Waus refused to comment on the character of Kraus' plans on his school or threat of gravity. The police also did not release any information on why the couple was shot.

Kraus was held in Outagamie County Prison and has not yet been loaded. The police said in a press release that he could be charged with two bills of prudence in the first degree. Each fee would have a lifetime. An initial court appearance was set on Tuesday afternoon.

Wass said he didn't know if Kraus had a lawyer who could comment on the claims. Online court records did not record their case from Monday afternoon.

Grand Chute, a city of 22,000, is located approximately 110 miles (177 kilometers) northwest of Milwaukee. Neenah, home to 26,000, is located approximately 15 miles south of Grand Chute.

Wisconsin is one of six states that treat 17-year-olds as adults in the criminal justice system. Democratic government Tony Evers has included provisions in his state budget that would move 17-year-olds back to young people.

A long gun believed to have been used in crime was recovered from the grandparents' house, Waas said.

Kraus also told researchers about his plan to cause damage to Neenah High School, where he was a junior, Waas said. He said investigators recovered documentation related to that plan.

He said more details would be included in the loading documents Tuesday.

The school district released a statement Monday, police said there was no danger for students and staff in high school and that school day would go as usual. Additional advisors were available to students and there was an extra police presence at the high school, the district said.


Associated Press author Todd Richmond in Madison contributed to this report.

Source link