MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte would not visit earthquake areas in Mindanao, Malacañang said Thursday.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said that Duterte "conscientiously monitors the situation in the affected areas during the earthquake this morning from his residence in Davao."
"However, the President considers it appropriate to refrain from personally inspecting the disaster-stricken areas and direct action in response to the disaster because operations are already underway by responsible local authorities, and they have so far effectively responded to the current critical situation, "Panelo added.
A powerful 6.3 magnitude earthquake hit the city of Tulunan in Cotabato on Thursday, after a temblor with a strength of 6.6 hit the same city on Tuesday and 1
READ: Powerful earthquake hammer Cotabato, other parts by Minda nao anew
"[T] he president has ordered the national government, through its relevant agencies and agencies, to provide immediate assistance in any form required under the premises, "Panelo said.
READ: Duterte safe after the Mindanao earthquake, orders immediate relief operations
The Palace official said that Duterte would leave on Friday afternoon to join the 35th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Summit in Bangkok, Thailand. / kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am, and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.