Washington Capitals continued their half-better game late by taking down Colorado Avalanche 4-3 in overtime. The win was Cap's second season over Avs, which gave the good a season series sweep.
Caps shot Avs 42 to 37.
- This was a pretty big overall effort from Caps against a hard-fighting Colorado Avalanche team. As you can tell from the heat map, the caps got more often at five to five and without any goal errors should have won this rule as a rule.
- Congratulations to Andre Burakovsky on playing his 300th career NHL game (congratulations to Brett Connolly on his 400th) and I thought he was one of those best Caps player at night. Others led all caps in five to five-point percentages (87.5 percent) and high-risk percentages (80 percent). Good answer to his mini-campaign.
- The Metro Divsion competition is still as close as the team at the top, New York Islanders, and the team in fifth, Carolina Hurricanes, is only separated by eight points. Pittsburgh Penguin's latest game has seen them slip down into the other wild slot where they will have to ward off these hurricanes and Buffalo Sabers.
"Race" for the two wild cards at the Western Conference is something. pic.twitter.com/1ILFNkAom5
– Tom Gulitti (@TomGulittiNHL) February 8, 2019
- Peter talked about very good things in his latest post about changes this season that could do Caps better and I think we saw two of his points safely described in this game. Madison Bowey and Brooks Orpik will not cut it and the fourth row needs a drastic, permanent review that can be done with clean in house pieces.
- Really good to see Evgeny Kuznetsov returns to the ice for overtime, plays 2:37 of 4:12 of the extra frame and scores any gambling winner on a break. Kuzy seems to be picking up the pace recently and surrounding him with players who can facilitate his defense construction, another of Peter's points in his post, is something that would further strengthen him.
- The caps had a lot of power playing time and it can be seen by Alex Ovechkin plays 11:09 out of five to four times alone. They only ended with an official goal during that time and an unofficial goal because of a blown conversation, but overall I liked what I saw in terms of creating chances.
Numbers thanks to Hockey-reference.com, NaturalStatTrick.com, and Corsica.Hockey.
Full RMNB coverage of Caps vs Avalanche
Main Photo: Patrick McDermott