(Porto-Elverum 28-30) Elverum’s handball champion never ceases to shock. On Thursday night, Portuguese Porto beat 30-28 in the Champions League opening.
The bad news was that national team player Alexander Blonz (20) was injured in the final seconds. It could look like he got a sprained knee.
– It is obvious that it gave a bittersweet finish to the match. Alexander was as good as we know he can be, and so far we are unsure of how serious this injury is, says Elverum’s new coach Børge Lund to VG.
– I will be examined further when I get home, Blonz himself says to VG.
Lund otherwise had every reason to smile after the performance in Portugal. Porto beat Kiel himself last season and is in practice the Portuguese national team. Alexander Blonz was the top scorer with ten goals, while Dominik Mathe had four.
– If we are sharp, we know that we can handle such achievements, says Elverum’s coach.
– It is good that we as a group get a feeling that everything is possible.
Elverum led 5-3 in the first half, but Porto came equal at 8-8. And the Portuguese led by four goals at the break (16-12).
During the second half, Elverum impressed a lot. Børge Lund changed the defense with Luc Abalo in front. It got a little ingenious. The Frenchman worked wonderfully with Alexander Blonz and goalkeeper Torsten Friis after the break.
The fairy tale with Zagreb show: – He is a magician
– We change to 5-1 in defense and at the same time have more skill and pace in the future, says Børge Lund to VG.
– Abalo in 5-1 worked perfectly?
– That is the main reason why we have taken him – take advantage of his experience and ingenuity in the game. He makes it difficult for Porto to find rhythm in his game.
– A real feather in the cap for Norwegian handball and not least Elverum, stated expert commentator Gunnar Pettersen in the Viasat 4 broadcast.
– Many wondered if Elverum belonged among the 16 teams here. And they proved it now.
After 29.15 in the second half, Alexander Blonz missed a penalty and Porto reduced to 28-29.
The same Blonz had 10 goals on 13 shots. He scored 11 on 11 against Kolstad last weekend. In the end, he had a goal scorer for Dominik Mathe, who scored 30-28. But at the same time as he sent the passport, Blonz went wrong and was injured.
– It was good to see that he scored, Blonz smiles.
– Does that mean you can hit someone?
– Maybe not someone, but maybe someone in our group in the Champions League, the national team answers.
The local newspaper Østlendingen states on Thursday evening that “Elverum stood for one of its greatest achievements of all time”.
This match was to take place in Elverum, but was reversed due to uncertainty about the corona test on its way into Norway.
VG Discount Codes
A commercial collaboration with kickback.no