– Even among people who seem healthy, the fourth with the best condoms is actually only half as high as the fourth with worst conditions, says researcher Bjarne Nes at NTNU.
Between 2006 and 2008, researchers measured the state of 4527 men and women who participated in the third health survey in Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT). None of them had cardiovascular disease, cancer or hypertension, and most were considered to be at low risk for cardiovascular disease for the next ten years.
Yet, 147 of the participants were affected by an acute myocardial infarction or diagnosed with angina pectoris before 201
The researchers analyzed participants in groups based on their condition compared to others of the same age and gender. The risk was shown to decrease steadily as the patient increased. The correlation between cardiovascular and cardiovascular risk also continued after adjustment for other factors that differed among the most pronounced and least-speaking participants.
Gold Standard for Condensation
One of the biggest strengths in the study is that the fitness was measured with a maximum exercise test of oxygen uptake.
Previous studies that have linked condom to disease risk in freshness have largely been based on less precision
– Maximum oxygen absorption is the most accurate goal of fitness, explains Bjarne Nes.
Our body uses oxygen to drive metabolic processes that create energy for the muscles. The maximum oxygen uptake is simply the maximum amount of oxygen the body can absorb during physical activity.
Both the function of the heart, blood vessels and muscles is important for acid uptake.
– We know that patients with low oxygen content are at increased risk of early death and cardiovascular disease. Our study shows that poorer conditions are an independent risk factor for coronary heart disease, also among relatively healthy women and men, "says Nes.
So how good should you be?
The study suggests that even a small increase in fitness can be of great importance to health. For each increase of 3.5 disease states, the risk of myocardial infarction or angina was 15 percent lower.
– Our results should encourage the use of exercise as a preventive medicine. A couple of months of regular exercise that makes you breathless can be an effective strategy for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, says one of the other researchers behind the study, Jon Magne Letnes. He is a PhD and a PhD student at the Cardiac Exercise Research Group (CERG) at NTNU.
And maybe the form may never be so good that you can say you have optimal protection? The better the form, the lower the risk for the participants in the study.
According to researchers, there is apparently no upper limit for exercise in terms of beneficial effects for the heart.
Not only exercise habits
To measure maximum oxygen absorption exactly, you must breathe a mask when driving on a treadmill where speed increases or the spine gets steeper every minute.
When working on higher intensity, the body needs more and more oxygen.
The test ends when you can not run anymore, or when the measurements show that oxygen uptake does not increase, even if the speed of the treadmill increases.
But why are you really saying Our condition is so much about future health?
– Conditions are not just a measure of how much you've been training through life, but also telling you what kind of genes you have. In addition, other factors such as obesity may affect the condition. Thus, we measure many parts of the body's functions, and from other studies we know that both genes and physical activity are important for both the heart and the blood vessels function, "says Letnes.
– Test Your Condition
We can not make our genes, but we can change exercise habits.
Letnes believes that it may be useful for physicians to use exercise measurements when assessing the health risks for their patients.
– Fitness testing can motivate patients to improve their form over time, focusing on health promotion rather than disease. Although it can be uncomfortable and difficult to measure the oxygen uptake directly with the doctor, there are simple and relatively accurate counters that can give a good estimate of the condition and disease risk, he says.
CERG has previously developed such a conditional calculator as today is recommended by US health authorities. More than six million people have found their permission data with this condom counter. You can also try it out.
Letnes, J. M., et al.: Pig acid uptake and incident coronary artery disease in a healthy population – HUNT Fitness Study. European Heart Journal . 2018. DOI: doi: 10,1093 / eurheartj / ehy708