– He has had a fantastic season, states coach Gjert Ingebrigtsen.
It is the currently relatively unknown runner in Team Ingebrigtsen, Narve Gilje Nordås, he praises. In August, he set the best of the year in the world on an English mile, and during the National Championships in Bergen, he took gold in the 5000 meters on Saturday and followed up with silver in the 10,000 meters on Sunday.
Nordås has been part of the Ingebrigtsen team since 2014, but has only this year been officially included in the group. Then came the national breakthrough.
This summer, the coach also tried to get the student to competitions and training camps in Europe to develop. Nordås would not.
– Slowly gnawing
The reason is the corona situation.
– It’s not just about myself, because if I get infected I will probably have a mild course as people my age, but I have people around me in the risk group and I want them to survive 2020, they too, Nordås explains , who says that he, among other things, refused a generous place in the Diamond League tournament in Monaco.
– Gjert Ingebrigtsen is a fairly mature man, so it takes a little courage to say no?
– Yes, you can say that. At the same time, he never shows it here and there, it gets slower gnawing with time before you understand that it may not be what he wanted. But he is not far-sighted, so it is not a problem, he says.
Do not understand skepticism
Gjert Ingebrigtsen confirms the disagreement.
– I could get him in competitions that could increase his chances both mentally and physically. That possibility comes again if you have a longer perspective on it. I’m just trying to explain to him that we have a really “safe” system when we travel, and that would open a number of doors that he otherwise would not have had, he says.
– It would be useful both for him and the others. When you are in a group, it also has a useful value in completing together, the coach adds.
– Do you understand his skepticism about traveling?
– No, I do not. Absolutely not.
Jakob Ingebrigtsen also thinks that it would be good for his training partner to compete abroad.
– He has won almost everything in Norway. If you ask me, it’s a nicer meeting, a little more difficult resistance, and then you have to go out, says the 20-year-old.
– They provide good entertainment
– When the vaccine is ready, I will take the first flight to Europe, he guarantees.
But he thinks it’s different for him than for the Ingebrigtsen brothers, to run is their job.
– They sacrifice not only for themselves but also the Norwegian people to provide good entertainment. For me it’s different, because I’m not involved in dominating a Diamond League field. It would be for my own gain for me, Nordås thinks.
The season has still been successful and the athlete from Jæren is patient. They therefore all agree that the future looks even brighter.
– He has had enormous continuity in training, not a day or a moment without training, and won everything that has been here at home, from 1500 to 5000 meters. It will continue and get much better, says Gjert Ingebrigtsen.