SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korea is considering interrupting nuclear talks with the United States and its leaders can reconsider a ban on missile testing, news reports from the northern capital on Friday told a senior official as said.
FILE PHOTO: Hyon Song Wol, head of North Korean Samjiyon art troupe, takes a photo of Foreign Minister Choe Son-Hui (C) ahead of the welcome ceremony in North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un (not pictured) at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, Vietnam on the 1st March 2019. Luong Thai Linh / Pool via REUTERS
Following the failure of the US summit on US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the highest nuclear envoy in the Nordic countries said its leadership considered releasing nuclear weapons negotiations, Russia's TASS news agency said. .
"We have no intention of claiming the US requirements (at the Hanoi Summit) in any form, and we are not willing to participate in negotiations of this kind," said the agency North Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui who said .
Kim will soon announce an official announcement of his position on talks with the United States and the further action of the Nordic countries, he added and quoted Choe, who addressed a press conference in the North Korean capital.
Choe also said Washington threw away a golden opportunity at the summit and warned that Kim could reconsider a moratorium on missile launches, the Associated Press press agency said.
The comments contradict optimism shown by an American negotiator this week, despite the summary of last month's talks in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi.
That meeting crumbled the differences between US demands for Pyongyang for nuclear power and North Korea's demand for dramatic relief from international sanctions imposed on nuclear and missile tests.
Choe had said after the Hanoi talks that Kim could lose his commitment to make an agreement with the United States, after seeing it, rejecting a request to lift any sanctions to the north to destroy its known core complex.
In Washington this week, US Special Representative for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, said that the United States expected to continue its close engagement, even though he did not provide any details on when new talks could be held.
"Diplomacy still lives very much," Biegun said on Monday, but did not stop saying if there were any talks since the summit.
In Beijing, Prime Minister Li Keqiang urged patience and more dialogue between North Korea and the United States.
"The half-problem can be said to be complicated and far-reaching, and it cannot be resolved overnight," Li said to an annual conference on Friday, although his remarks were not made in response to the TASS report.
Reporting by Joyce Lee; Writing by Jack Kim; Editing by Darren Schuettler and Clarence Fernandez