The latest influenza change in New Jersey and the first child-related death has hospitals that take extra precautions, restricting visits from children and people with flu-like symptoms.
Inspira Health and Atlantic Health is among the systems in the state lifted restrictions.
Inspira Health, which has four facilities in South Jersey, said in a statement that it no longer allows visits from children under the age of 13 or people with fever, cough or symptoms such as a sore throat, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These people can visit after being free of symptoms for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
The employment system noted that someone is planning to visit a patient in a specialist area at one of their sites (maternity, child, neonatal intensive care or behavioral health) should continue, as "additional restrictions may be introduced for specific departments".
Inspira Health's facilities include Inspira Medical Centers Elmer, Vineland and Woodbury;
Atlantic Health System has also implemented age and other restrictions on its facilities.
Children under the age of 1
"By limiting the number of people entering our facilities, we can better control the spread of viruses and infections and minimize unnecessary exposure risk "Laura Anderson
Atlantic Health System has six locations in New Jersey:
- Morristown Medical Center in Morristown
- Overview of Medical Center in the Summit
- Newton Medical Center in Newton
- Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains
- Hackettstown Medical Center in Hackettstown
- Goryeb Children's Hospital in Morristown  6] The flu is officially widespread in all 21 counties, according to state health officials. So make sure you take extra measures, including getting an influenza, washing your hands and covering these coughs, health experts say.
A child from Central Jersey died last month from an influenza-related disease, according to state officials marking the death of the first pediatric influenza in the state this season.
Spencer Kent can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org . Follow him on Twitter @SpencerMKent . Find NJ.com on Facebook .
Do you have information about this story or anything else we should cover? Tell us. nj.com/tips