Lthe 82-year-old former monarch announced his decision to leave Spain for his son, King Felipe VI, who accepted it and thanked him in a statement released by the royal house. “Guided (…) through the conviction to provide the best service to the Spaniards, to their institutions and to you as King, I inform you of my considered decision to banish myself, during this period, outside Spain“, Wrote the former sovereign quoted in the press release, who did not specify his destination.
Juan Carlos explains to his son his decision with “facilitate the exercise of (his) functions“, in front”public consequences of certain past events of (to) privacy“, A transparent reference to the investigation opened against him in June by the prosecution of the Supreme Court.
Suspicion of corruption
This is to determine whether Juan Carlos committed corruption by receiving a huge commission from Saudi Arabia during the award of the construction of a TGV between Mecca and Medina to a consortium of Spanish companies. . In July, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said:problem“Of these”
“It’s a shame he did a lot for Spain, but it’s clear he was injured at some point in his career.”
Iñigo Inchaurraga, publicist
The executive simply expressed on Monday 3 August its “respect“Against this decision, in a press release. Juan Carlos’ lawyer, Javier Sanchez-Junco, said in a statement that the former monarch did not try to escape justice by going on an excursion but remained available. But Vice President of the Government Pablo Iglesias condemned on Twitter a “escape“That the leader of the anti-monarchist party Podemos judges”unworthy of a former head of state“.
“Wherever he goes, he has to pay for what he did. It’s a shame he did a lot for Spain, but it’s clear he was injured at one point in his career.“Iñigo Inchaurraga, a 33-year-old publicist, told AFP. But Maria Nogueira, a 30-year-old official, said to herself “lite arg“In this case, in the midst of a pandemic. “It’s a way of washing the institution that I do not like, it’s just a facade wash“.
On its website where the official letter was published, the Royal House specifies that the King emphasized “historical significance“From his father’s reign”in the service of Spain and democracy“.
Safari is paid for by a Saudi
In fact, Juan Carlos, elected by Francisco Franco to succeed him, had been surprised after the dictator’s death in 1975 and saved a smooth transition to democracy with his prime minister, Adolfo Suárez. He then neutralized a coup attempt in February 1981. This had gained the supreme enormous popularity in a country where the monarchy is still in question.
But his image had gradually been occupied by rumors of corruption by the monarch very close to the Gulf monarchies. In 2012, when the Spaniards were suffering from the Great Depression, they learned that their king had broken his hip during a luxury safari in Botswana paid for by a Saudi businessman in the company of his mistress, a woman from German affairs. The scandal had become unbearable and the king had stopped abdicating in favor of his son.
This former mistress, Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, claimed in recordings published in 2018 that Juan Carlos had received a commission during the award of the construction of the TGV to a Spanish consortium. The Swiss and Spanish courts are investigating the case.
After new revelations this year from the Swiss newspaper the Geneva Tribune and the British newspaper Daily Telegraph, Felipe VI withdrew from his father an annual gift from the Royal Palace worth more than 194,000 euros per year. Then he announced that he had renounced his father’s inheritance. “to preserve the exemplary nature of the Crown“.