Giant Eagle adds its name to the list of major food chains, including Walmart and Kroger, and warns consumers against eating prepared foods that may containit has now sickened more than 600 people.
Giant Eagle recalls nearly 50 of a variety of finished products it has purchased since July 25 – including dozens of varieties of salads, pizzas and hoagies – that include onions as an ingredient, according to the company, which operates more than 410 stores in Indiana, Maryland. Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. (See the full list of recalled products below.)
The products may contain recalled bulbs tied to a salmonella outbreak that as of Friday has caused 640 diseases, including 85 hospitalizations in 43 states.
People infected with salmonella can develop diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps within hours, or sometimes days, after being exposed to the bacteria. Children and adults 65 and older are more likely to become seriously ill, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Giant Eagles recall also involves all bulk and bagged red, yellow and white onions that have been sold in their departments since June 6, according to a statement from the US Food and Drug Administration.
The latest recall follows a public health warning from the Department of Agricultural Food Safety and Inspection Services involving meat and poultry products made July 30 and July 31
The warnings stem from a recall earlier this month by Thomson International of all the red, yellow, white and sweet yellow bulbs shipped across the country from May 1 to the present.
Giant Eagles recalled products and NDC codes include:
- TUSCAN CHICKEN SALAD 20500200000
- MD CAPRESE SALAD 20660900000
- CHICKPEA & CARROT SALAD GREECE CLOTHES 20686300000
- SPINACH SALAD WITH RANCH DRESSING 20730400000
- GREEN BEAN PORTABELLA 21660900000
- HALF ITALY SUB 21665100000
- FARMERS SALAD 21738800000
- CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD 22657400000
- MD BLT SALAD 22657700000
- CEO MD BUFFALO HÖNGSALAD 22658400000
- COUNTRY STYLE PASTA SALAD FRENCH DRESS 22658500000
- GREEK SALAD STOR 22660900000
- GRILL VEGETABLES 22664600000
- MD Greek salad with Greek dressing 22665100000
- MD G&G Greek salad 22667100000
- GIVE EGG & BACON SALAD WITH FRENCH CLOTHES 23657100000
- MD PHILLY STIL STEAK STROMBOLI COLD 23660700000
- CAJUN STYLE CHICKEN MALT 23662500000
- MD DIP-REUBEN 23665100000
- CEO Greek salad with balsamic dressing 23676600000
- STUFFING BALLS S0678 / 1602 24658700000
- 22INCH ITALIAN HOAGIE 24659500000
- SPECIALTY 12 “ITALY HOAGIE 24660600000
- CHEESEBURGER PIZZA SLICE 25048600000
- PHILLY STEAK PIZZA SLICE 25049300000
- PIEROGIE LASAGNA ROLL UP 25049400000
- HOMEMADE MACARONI SALAD 25060700000
- SPANIKOPITA 25061200000
- 12 “DELUXE PIZZA 25065000000
- DELUXE ITALIAN PARTY HOAGIE 25067800000
- VEGETABELL PIZZA SLICE 25070900000
- 12 “VEGETABLE PIZZA 25071800000
- SHEET VEGETABLE PIZZA 25085100000
- STUFFET BONE IN CHICKEN BREAST GOURMET 25086400000
- STUFFED BONELESS KYLLBROSTGURMET 25086700000
- STUFFAD TURKEY BOURAST GOURMET 25086800000
- POTATO AND CHEES PIEROGIES 25089000000
- COLD Italian hero, 12 “25089400000
- Italian Hero, 6 “, COLD 25093400000
- SPINACH DIP DELI SERVICE CASE 25118000000
- SPINACH DIP GRAB & GO 25118500000
- MD EGG & BACON SALAD WITH A LITTLE BALSAMIC DRESS 25118600000
- Cucumber salad 25139500000
- SANDWICH TOPPERS PLATTER-UP TO 25 SANDWICHES 25139600000
- ZUCHINNI PANCAKES 27665100000
- PÅSPÅPERS AND ONIONS OVER PEN 27697700000
- MD S&F: SMOKE-STACKED SANDWICH 27751700000
- CALIFORNIA COBB – LITEN 28659400000
Recalled products sold at Walmart and / or Kroger:
- 7.25-oz. plastic sealed container marked as “Sausage Breakfast Scramble Bowl” with party code TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8 and with a best if used by 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 6.2-oz. plastic sealed container marked as “Taylor Farms Cheddar Cheese & Chicken Salad Snack Tray” with use on 08/06/20 or 08/07/20 and party codes TFD212AU7 and TFD213AU7.
- 41.35-oz. plastic bags containing “chicken salad” in use by 08/04/20 or 08/05/20 and lot codes TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8.
- 10-oz. plastic sealed container marked as “Chicken Salad Deli Snack” with party codes TFD212AU3 and TFD213AU3 with best with dates 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 7.75-oz. plastic sealed container marked as “HEB Shake Rattle Bowl Southwest Salad with Chicken” and a best if used after the date of “Aug 10/2020 and lot code TFD213AU20.
- 17,25-oz. plastic sealed container marked as “Marketside Southwest Style Salad with Chicken” with the best if used on 08/11/20 or 08/12/2020 and batch codes TFD212AU26 or TFD213AU26.
The products have the establishment number “P-34733” or “34733” inside the USDA inspection mark or printed on the container and shipped to retail locations in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas.