The breakdown was announced on Friday and ended a lengthy and acrimonious exit that started in the fall after Kelly defended Halloween costumes containing black background under one segment of her 9th show.
"The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn Kelly is no longer employed by NBC," said the network Friday night.
Kelly is halfway through a three-year contract worth a total of $ 69 million ̵
According to the contract, NBC will pay Kelly the remaining amount of money, which is believed to be about $ 30 million, two of the sources say.
Kelly will be the subject of an industry standard nondisparation clause, which limits what she can say about her time at NBC and her interactions with NBC managers. TV contracts typically include language to protect both sides at an unsatisfactory resolution.
But representatives of the host and the network refused to comment on the exact terms of her withdrawal.
Kelly is not supposed to be subject to any "noncompete" clause, which means she can theoretically join another network, the sources say.
But Kelly currently does not have an agent and there is no indication that she has another job set up.  When we were contacted by celebrity photographers on the street in New York City on Thursday and asked "will we watch you on TV this year," Kelly said. "You will definitely see me back."
A representative of Kelly refused to comment further.
Friday's announcement marks a premature end to a partnership that ultimately failed to raise the anchor's size and the network's rating. And the hostility to her departure is in stark contrast to the optimism that greeted her arrival at NBC in January 2017.
After 12 years at Fox News, Kelly was one of the most sought after stars in the television news world, interested in a number of networks. Fox offered her a new contract worth over $ 20 million a year, but Kelly was eager to throw the fighting style she was honing on the conservative network.
At NBC, Kelly hoped that she could fulfill the softer role she had long predicted for herself. The network had ambitious plans for Kelly, delivering its hosting services for a Sunday night news magazine and the 9th hour of the "Today" program. But the marriage was difficult from the hope.
"Sunday evening with Megyn Kelly" was poorly received and ended after a short while in summer 2017. And "Megyn Kelly Today" was defined by difficult ratings and awkward moments, with values sometimes appearing inappropriate for
Kelly won the plaudits too aggressively Covering Cases of Sexual Malpractice When the # MeToo Movement became an International History at the end of 2017.
But her coverage – especially in the case of "Today" shows co-host Matt Lauer – ranked some of his colleagues.
This contributed to tensions between managers Kelly and NBC, including NBC News president Andy Lack, who invested tens of millions of dollars in her employment.
At that time, there were already questions about how much longer Kelly's 9th show would be. She had few allies within NBC, and more than a few fighters.
Her lowest moment came on October 23, when she led a discussion on offensive Halloween costumes.
Kelly said it was acceptable when she was a child not to black face "as long as you dressed up as a character." And she defended a reality TV star who took heat last year to dress up as Diana Ross.
"And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross?" Kelly said. "She wants to look like Diana Ross for a day. I don't know how it was racist on Halloween."
The backlash to Kelly was quick and immediate and exceeded the outrageous that she generated for her comments years ago about Santa's race. Kelly apologized to her staff that afternoon. And she apologizes for her show the following day and says "the country feels so divided and I don't want to add that pain and offense."
She didn't come back on the network. Three days after her blackface comments on air, NBC announced it had canceled "Megyn Kelly Today."
Both sides then reached a silent resolution, which was announced on Friday night.