ISIS bride Shamima Begum – the British woman who fled to Syria to join the terrorist group in 2015 and quickly married one of its fighters – can return home to appeal the decision to obtain her citizenship, a court ruled on Thursday.
Begum, 20, was 15 when she took off with two other schoolgirls from Bethnal Green Academy in East London to join the terrorist group.
The British-born teenager married an ISIS fighter two weeks later and lived in Raqqa, the capital of the self-proclaimed caliphate.
Begum appeared last year in a refugee camp in Syria, where three of her children died. She told reporters she wanted to return home.
But former Home Secretary Sajid Javid removed her from her citizenship months later, with its domestic intelligence agency considering her a security threat.
He claimed that she was Bangladeshi by descent and could go there instead.
Begum has since challenged the decision, saying she is not a citizen of Bangladesh and that Javid̵
Three judges from the English Court of Appeal unanimously agreed that she could have a “fair and efficient appeal” only if she was allowed to return to the UK.
“Justice and fairness must, because of the facts of this case, outweigh the national security concerns,” Judge Julian Flaux wrote in a decision. “I believe that Miss Begum’s claim for judicial review of the decision of the SIAC (Special Immigration Appeals Commission) … is succeeding.”
The judges said that if there is sufficient evidence that Begum is a security threat, she can be arrested when she returns.
Her lawyer, Daniel Furner, said in a statement, “Ms. Begum is not afraid to face British justice, she welcomes it. But the abolition of her citizenship without a chance to clear her name is not justice – it is the opposite. “
Begum backfired after proving indifferent to ISIS’s fears.
“When I saw my first severed head in a dustbin, I did not escape at all. It was from a captured fighter who was seized on the battlefield, an Islam enemy, “she said in an earlier interview. “I was just thinking about what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance.”
She also said that the ISIS attack in 2017 in Manchester that left 22 people dead was justified.
The UK Home Office said it was “very disappointed” with the court’s decision.
“We will now apply for permission to appeal this judgment and to keep its effects pending any appeal,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “The government’s top priority remains to maintain our national security and to protect the public.”
With post threads