Home / Health / Indiana residents die of mosquito-borne EEE in first human case in more than 20 years: health officials

Indiana residents die of mosquito-borne EEE in first human case in more than 20 years: health officials



An Indiana resident has died from the rare but severe mosquito-borne Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), health officials announced over the weekend.

The resident was from Elkhart County. His or her case marks the first human in the state since 1998, according to the Journal Gazette, which also noted that the case was the fourth in the state of Hoosier since 1964.

MASSACHUSETTS GIRL, 5, INFECTED With EEE DISCHARGED OF HOSPITAL AS DONATIONS WHEN $ 190G

"It's hard to imagine losing a loved one because of a mosquito bite, but unfortunately mosquitoes carry diseases that can be life-threatening," Dr. Kris Box, state health commissioner, in a statement, according to The Journal Gazette.

EEE ̵

1; a rare disease spread by infected mosquitoes – is known to cause brain inflammation. Survivors usually have mild to severe brain damage, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Infection (CDC). One third of those infected with EEE die.

Symptoms of a severe EEE infection "begin with the sudden onset of headaches, high fever, chills and vomiting," says the CDC.

There is no specific treatment for infection; Antibiotics are not effective and no antiviral drugs have been discovered so far.

RHODE ISLAND GIRL, 6, NEXT DIES AFTER CONTRACTING THE SELL MOSQUITO-BORNE EEE VIRUS: "WE CAN HEAR HERE"

prevention of other infections, "the federal health agency says. On average, five to 10 cases are reported by the EEE each year in the United States

A spokesman for the Indiana State Department of Health did not immediately return Fox News & # 39; s request for comment on Monday.


Source link