The growing vivacity between Huawei Technologies and the US government was inevitable and a sales ban introduced by the Trump administration will have no impact on the company's plans, according to the founder of the Chinese telecommunications giant.
Speaking to the Chinese state media on Tuesday, Ren Zhengfei said it would be "conflict with the United States sooner or later," because Huawei is trying to grow its dominance in the global telecom industry.
"We sacrificed [the interests of] individuals and families for the ideal sake, to stand at the top of the world," he said, according to a report in the South China Morning Post.
Last week, the White House announced an executive order to prevent US companies from doing business with foreign telecom companies that pose a national security risk. While the measure was a company and a country agnostic, Huawei is the largest company to be affected.
After the order, the trading department also sent the company on a "black list" that prevents US companies from selling to Huawei without federal approval, which experts say is unlikely.
On Monday, the agency said it would allow some limited 90-day transactions to allow US companies to "make other arrangements," said Secretary Wilbur Ross in a statement.
While large domestic telecom companies such as AT&T and Verizon Wireless have pledged not to use Huawei equipment in the development of pending fifth generation wireless networks, farms still use their low cost equipment.
Zhengfei said the ban would have no impact on Huawei's 5G strategy and expects it to have a two-to-three year advantage over its competitors.
"The current policies of US politicians underestimated our power," he told China's CCTV CC.
|T|| AT & T INC. 32.1
||+0.39||+ 1.23%||T-MOBILE US INC||78.29||+ 2.92||+ 3.87%|
|S||SPRINT CORP. 6.95||+ 0.77||+ 12.46%|
|] VZ||VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC.||59.01||+0.92|| + 1.58%|