In 2014, Google introduced Android One to the world. The idea of the program was simple – affordable devices based on stock Android and fast updates. The purpose was to clear the market for the small and many companies in the market (then), which provided mobile minutes without upgrades, which caused developers a headache. Now, four years after the announcement, the program is almost dead and almost no one is interested in its development.
Among those who came up with the idea to release devices under Android One was Xiaomi. The purpose was the international recognition offered by Google and the opening to the unknown markets in Latin America and Africa. The company launched the Xiaomi Mi A1 2017 which had good sales. From the beginning, it seemed like something was wrong. Updates were delayed while photo quality decreased over time. Still, the idea of releasing a smartphone with “pure” Android sounds better than the MIUI of that time.
At one point, the company conducted a user survey, in which it invited them to vote for MIUI 11 or “stock” Android. 57% want to see an untouched version of Android on a Xiaomi smartphone. The company was ashamed and decided to remove the voting results so as not to jeopardize its own interface. But it listened to the market and released three models: Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Mi A3 and Xiaomi Mi A3 Lite. This year we would see the Xiaomi Mi A4 but so far we have not heard anything other than the giant software problems on the Xiaomi Mi A3.
Yesterday we learned that the company is stopping creating devices in the Android One application. Android One has become obsolete and few manufacturers are interested in it. So the end of the series and we will not see the Mi A4. Now only HMD supports the application with Nokia phones.
The Mi A3 has been a side of shame for the company over the past year and closing the curtain could be an attempt to forget the whole issue.
XIAOMI MI A3 SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.08-inch (1560 x 720 pixels) HD + Super AMOLED display with 102.7% NTSC color gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 665 11nm mobile platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPU) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4 GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64 GB (UFS 2.1). 6 GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128 GB (UFS 2.1) storage. Expandable memory up to 256 GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 48MP rear camera with 1 / 2.0 ″ Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f / 1.79 aperture, LED flash, EIS. 8MP 118 ° ultra wide angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, f / 2.2 aperture. 2MP depth sensor with 1.75μm pixel size, f / 2.4 aperture
- 32MP forward-facing camera with f / 2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor on the screen
- 3.5 mm audio socket, FM radio, infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 156.48 × 71.85 × 8.47 mm; Weight: 173.8 g
- Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band, Bluetooth 5, GPS / GLONASS / Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4030mAh (typical) / 3940mAh (minimum) battery with 18W Quick Charge 3.0 fast charge