A visitor walks past a Ford Escape Titanium at a car show last April.
Greg Baker | AFP | Getty Images
Ford Motor said on Thursday that it was delaying plans for officials to begin returning to offices in late June through September.
It said the move is to ensure that Ford has enough personal protective equipment for workers and time to change facilities to allow for appropriate social distance protocols to reduce the spread of Covid-1
“The health and safety of our workforce continues to be our first priority and we want to make sure we have enough PPE for all our site-dependent workforce that has already returned, as well as the right supply for those who would return later this summer,” the company said in an email Thursday.
In April, Ford announced plans for its employees in the United States to begin returning to work in late June and early July. The company had approximately 190,000 employees globally at the end of last year, including approximately 100,000 who have already returned to work based on location and job requirements. About 12,000 of its 36,000 non-manufacturers have returned to work in the United States, a spokesman said Thursday.
Ford’s 56,000 US employees per hour began returning to work in mid-March. Limited North American production began on May 18. Ford’s factories continue to gradually add shifts and production.
Production workers returned to work with significant on-site safety protocols and procedures to help detect infected employees and curb the disease.
The measures included extensive cleaning, mandatory face masks and in some cases face shields. Employees will need to clear health care and temperature controls, including thermal body scanners, as they enter the building. Ford is also reworking workplaces to enable social distance wherever possible.
Neither General Motors nor Fiat Chrysler, Ford’s competing competitors, have announced timeframes for officials to return to their locations.