MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Flesh eating bacteria near the coast is making rounds in nationwide headlines, and in Memphis man is one of the few victims to die from.
Cheryl Wiygul said: "This is why last week, while her parents were visiting on the Gulf Coast, they did it all, posting on Facebook Bay and swimming in Boggy Bayou.
She writes her father had cancer, and his immune system had been compromised. She'd seen the warnings about open wounds in the Gulf waters and heard about flesh-eating bacteria, so they were extra careful to use Neosporin and liquid band Aids [Thetermflesh-eatingbacteriaisaconglomerationofseveraltypesofinfections"DrSteveThrelkeldaninfectiousdiseasespecialistatBaptistHospitalsaid"TheclassiconeisGroupAstrepandcausesstrepthroatHedidn'ttreatWiygul'sfatherbutunfortunatelythat'swhereherfatherendedupabout24hoursaftergettingoutofthewater
A black spot can be seen on his back, and his daughter said it was called Necrotizing Fasciitis, or that flesh-eating bacteria, which was soon after his death.
immune systems were just as vulnerable as those who have open wounds.
"If you're going to go to the beach, don't swim in the water if you're significantly immune-suppressed, high-dose immune suppressants like "Threlkeld said.
Threlkeld said this bacteria is much more likely to live in warm waters like in the Gulf, and you can also catch it from eating raw seafood.
Wiygul said she'd like to see more wa rning signage and beach towns promoting awareness. or tropical system – anytime the water is extra warm. He does not know if there have been more cases of flesh-eating bacteria this year than before. He said recent cases have just happened all around the same time.