Home / Health / Family of U-Md. A student who died of adenovirus takes one step towards suing school

Family of U-Md. A student who died of adenovirus takes one step towards suing school



The family of an 18-year-old University of Maryland beginner who died of adenovirus in the fall has filed a claim for a claim against the university and sets the stage for a possible trial.

Ian Paregol said the death of his daughter, Olivia Shea Paregol, could have been prevented if the university showed that the virus spread through the College Park campus.

He reported the University of Maryland on Monday of erroneous assault following a report by The Washington Post that revealed officials were waiting 18 days to tell students about the presence of adenovirus. More than 40 students would become ill, including 1

5 who were hospitalized. The university first recognized the virus on November 19, the day after Olivia Paregol died.

Ian Paregol said the family hopes to have discussions with college officials and will decide in the coming weeks whether to bring an action against the state's flagship institution. Meanwhile, Paregol is requesting an independent investigation by the University and asking for President Wallace D. Loh's resignation or termination.

"The university is responsible for Olivia's death and the person ultimately responsible for acts or actions of university staff is the president," says Ian Paregol. "He should not have been allowed to continue in the first place."

During the fall, Loh had joined Retiring at the end of this school year after the death of 19-year-old Jordan McNair, Athletic trainers waited more than an hour to call 911 after McNair showed signs of exhaustion, his death in June revealing deep problems in the athletic department and A leadership crisis erupted.

The University Board of the Maryland Board of Regents later decided to leave Loh until 2020 while the board is looking for a successor. Paul Stackpole, a board spokesman, said the group is not considering Loh's employment status.

"Student Health and Safety is the first leadership order and top priority on all our campuses, "said Stackpole. r university system "has asked all US presidents to review their policies, processes and communications in connection with incidents of infectious diseases and environmental hazards in order to ensure best practices in responding to these issues."

A spokesman from Maryland disappeared to answer questions. After the post published its report on May 16, Loh released a statement saying: "I have offered condolences on behalf of the University to Olivia's parents and continue to think of their family."

Loh has been at the College's response to the adenovirus outbreak, saying: "Our method of reporting, testing, cleaning and communicating the virus was coordinated with health care professionals and exceeded" guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "

Adenovirus is not governed by mandatory state or federal reporting requirements, which means that doctors or hospitals are not required to warn healthcare professionals or the public when the virus is detected. Ultimately, the University of Maryland had room for when and how to share that information. [19659012] Adenovirus may cause symptoms similar to a cold or flu, but some harmful strains can sicken healthy individuals and be dangerous to people with weakened immune systems – people like Olivia Paregol, who was on the medicine for Crohn's disease, an unpleasant digestive disease.

She had struggled breathing problems at all holidays after living in Elkton Hall, a moth-infected student home where students had to be temporarily evacuated. Mold did not cause adenovirus, but the director of the university health center, in email to administrators, admitted that "mold may cause irritation of the respiratory system that can ka susceptibility of a viral infection. "

Olivia Paregol appeared at University Health Center complaining of fever and sore throat November 2, a day after David McBride, health care director, learned that the adenovirus was present on campus.

On November 9, a doctor at the Washington Adventist Hospital in Maryland emailed McBride and expressed concern about seriously ill patients seeking treatment in the hospital and wrote, "Maybe you have an outbreak of adenovirus on campus."

College officials discussed – but decided to – report students with compromised immune systems and residents living in Elkton Hall, dormitory that had the most severe mold contamination, according to records reviewed by the Post.

Olivia Paregol's condition deteriorated rapidly because her doctor struggled to figure out the cause of her illness. On November 13, her dad called the university to get an answer. It was only then, when his teens fought for their lives at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, that McBride revealed the adenovirus cases on campus to the Paregol family.

That day, doctors began treating her with an antiviral called cidofovir, but the treatment did not make any difference. Olivia Paregol died November 18th. The next day, for the first time, the university acknowledged that adenovirus had sick six students and urged society to take the virus seriously.

In the cancellation application, Paregoles accused the University of Maryland of "a pattern of gross ruthlessness and lack of respect for the health and safety of their students."

Sarah Larimer contributed to this report.


Source link