The Dominican Republic resort where a Delaware mother said she was brutally beaten and left for dead has temporarily stopped – because fewer and fewer tourists want to stay there.
Majestic Resorts said it has lost thousands of customers since reports of US vacationers dying or seriously injured in the Caribbean began surface treatment earlier this year, the Delaware News Journal reported.
Majestic elegance in Punta Cana – where Tammy Lawrence-Dale said she was beaten and choked in January – will close early Thursday, with plans to reopen on November 7.
The occupancy at Majestic Resort's three Punta Cana locations was expected to fall below 60% in the second half of August, September and October, says Sales and Marketing Manager Ricardo Espinosa in a letter to travel agencies announcing the closure.
"Majestic Resorts will offer even more services and more quality than ever to get our guests back," wr ote Espinosa.
The Wilmington resident said in a Facebook post in May that she was on vacation with her husband, Christopher, and their two best friends at the all-inclusive facility when she was picked up with a club, choked and possibly sexually assaulted in a one-hour loan of a man wearing a resort uniform.
The resort shot back against Lawrence-Daley's allegations, claiming that the woman "formally demanded a 2.2 million dollars "and only shared the story of the alleged incident four months later," after they received no positive response. "
Both the tourist scene and the police in the Caribbean have said that there are holes in the story.
The woman has accused hotel honchos of being victimized.
A Pennsylvania man said in June that he was attacked at the same resort by a pair of robbers who would be and left a concussion.
Robert Walker of New Castle said he was ambushed in January, the same month as Lawrence-Daley's alleged attack.