Donald Trump hit a document on Tuesday and confirmed details of a regional asylum project agreed with Mexico to avert threatened charges and said the plan was "secret" despite the fact that Mexican officials had revealed much of it.
Trump, who has made illegal immigration a priority and has been guilty of Mexico for the problem since going to office in 201
Mexico signed a pact last week and agreed to control the flow of people from Central America, including by using 6,000 members of a new national security guard along the border with Guatemala.
Mexico's Foreign Minister, Marcelo Ebrard, said that Mexico also agreed on a 45-day timeline to show increased implementation measures were effective in reducing people's flows. If it fails, Mexico has agreed to consider a prolonged US demand for US asylum seekers to pass through Mexico applying for refuge there, not in the United States, making Mexico a "safe third country", a demand that Mexico has long rejected.  "Safe third countries could be applied if we fail and we accept what they say," said Ebrard on Tuesday night and noted that Mexican lawmakers would consider adjusting to a change in migration law.
However, Ebrard said other Latin American countries should share the burden, something that the United States seemed to have agreed upon.
The document that Trump waved to reporters presented "a regional approach to burden-sharing in refugee status treatment of migrants", talked about "45 days" and said that Mexico had undertaken to immediately investigate its laws and regulations so that it could carry out such an agreement.