Home / World / Defense chief says Israel is not “necessarily” behind all incidents at Iranian nuclear facilities

Defense chief says Israel is not “necessarily” behind all incidents at Iranian nuclear facilities



Israel’s defense chief said on Sunday that his country does not “necessarily” be behind all events at Iranian nuclear facilities, following a fire at a site last week.

Three Iranian officials told Reuters that they believed that the fire at the underground Natanz site was a result of cyber sabotage. Two of these officials said that Israel could have been behind the alleged attack.

When asked by Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz if Israel had anything to do with “mysterious explosions,” he reportedly told Israel Radio: “Not every incident that occurs in Iran necessarily has something to do with us.”

;

“All these systems are complex, they have very high security restrictions and I’m not sure they always know how to maintain them,” he told Reuters.

The Natanz site serves as the center for Iran’s uranium enrichment program and is overseen by the United Nations Nuclear Guard, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Iran’s state news agency IRNA said it was possible for Israel and the United States to participate in sabotage, but did not directly accuse any of the nations.

Israel has promised not to allow Iran to have nuclear weapons, saying that Tehran aims to destroy Israel. But Iranian officials deny they are seeking nuclear weapons and say their nuclear program is peaceful.

Stuxnet computer viruses believed to have been developed by the United States and Israel were discovered in 2010 after targeting Natanz, Reuters noted.




Source link