Home / Entertainment / ‘Dancing With the Stars’ host Tom Bergeron is out after 15 years

‘Dancing With the Stars’ host Tom Bergeron is out after 15 years



After spending almost a quarter of his life hosting “Dancing With the Stars”, Tom Bergeron, the 65-year-old host of a one-time ABC rating juggernaut, has been dropped from the show, he announced on Twitter on Monday night.

“Just informed @DancingABC will continue without me,” he wrote. “It’s been an incredible 15-year run and the most unexpected gift of my career.”

ABC and BBC Studios, the show’s production company, said in a joint statement that “Dancing With the Stars”

; would strive for “a new creative direction” and that Mr. Bergeron would not be a part of it. Erin Andrews, the sports publisher and former contestant in the exhibition, who had hosted with Bergeron since 2014, was also out, the statement says.

Andrews, who announced her departure on Twitter this morning, thanked Bergeron and the show’s role for making her six seasons of the show memorable. “I will always spend my days on set, even if I was not the best at walking in heels,” she wrote.

Bergeron, a funny man known for his wit and charisma, is the only star to host each season of “Dancing With the Stars” since its debut in 2005. Although the show had once been a regular at the top of the ratings charts, viewers had flagged in recent seasons. Last fall’s season finale attracted the show’s smallest audience ever for one last episode.

Last year, Bergeron publicly expressed his concern about the decision to throw political guests on the show.

The comment came after the show decided to include Sean Spicer, former White House press secretary and communications director for President Trump, as a contestant.

Mr. Spicer played the stage for the season 28 premiere in a sleek, highlighter-yellow, ruffled shirt and tight white pants. His shimmy to Spice Girls: “Spice Up Your Life” with Lindsay Arnold, a professional dancer, was less than technical sound.

He joined a number of Republican affiliated contestants who had appeared before him, including Bristol Palin, daughter of Sarah Palin, former GOP vice president; and Rick Perry, the former Texas governor who ran for president.

Bergeron said he had met the show’s new executive maker without success in an attempt to ensure that the show “would be a gratifying respite from our exhausting political climate and free from inevitably sharing bookings from ALL party associations.”

“We can agree not to agree, as we do now, but it is ultimately their conversation,” he wrote on Twitter in August last year.

Before his “Dancing With the Stars” period, Mr. Bergeron the face of “America’s Funniest Home Videos”, the TV series from the viewer that he hosted for 15 seasons. He also hosted the game “Hollywood Squares” from 1998 to 2004.

His departure came as an unwelcome surprise – Bergeron told “Access Hollywood” in 2012 that he wanted to host the show “until they pull me kicking and screaming from the set.” But even to my shock Monday night, Mr. Bergeron crack one last joke.

“What am I going to do now with all these glitter masks?” he tweeted.




Source link