Home / US / Curfew not enough to keep the peace with protests, arrest coast to coast

Curfew not enough to keep the peace with protests, arrest coast to coast

Officers in coastal cities had a curfew Monday night, hoping they would prevent another night of violent, chaotic demonstrations staged by George Floyd’s death.

But the city’s entire order was not enough to keep the peace between protesters and police in certain places.

In Washington, DC, where Mayor Muriel Bowser imposed a rare curfew after multiple nights of looting and vandalism, police fired tear gas outside the White House to move protesters away when President Donald Trump announced he would deploy U.S. military troops across the country on states could not contain the turmoil on their own.

Photos and video appeared to show military helicopters flying below building height, kicking up debris and hitting branches of trees. The low-flying aircraft were reportedly used to disperse protesters.

Protesters are raging with tears as police disperse them near the White House on June 1, 2020.Roberto Schmidt / AFP – Getty Images

In Philadelphia, a curfew that began at 6 p.m. did not stop a group of protesters from marching to the City Hall, NBC Philadelphia reported. Hours earlier, a larger crowd elsewhere in the city shut down traffic, and police and state troops used tear gas and pepper spray to disperse the protesters.

In Louisville, where the police officer was fired after a man was shot dead on Sunday and officers did not activate his body cameras, the curfew was extended to June 8. Videos from Monday showed a handful of protesters with their hands up and dozens of officers with batons, helmets and body armor on the other side of an intersection after 9:30 pm curfew.

Protesters gather in Philadelphia on June 1, 2020.Matt Rourke / AP

In Buffalo, an SUV cut into tactical equipment with K9s and batons after they loaded what appeared to be a handful of protesters, video footage and officials said.

In an interview with NBC affiliate WGRZ, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said the incident was under investigation but added that it occurred after a previous demonstration ended and some of the protesters refused to leave.

“We can’t have people protesting in the city of Buffalo after dark,” he said. “It is not safe for the protesters and it is not safe for the surrounding community.”

Brown said it appeared that two people who had been shot dead had previously been in the SUV. He did not say whether the SUV was driven by a demonstrator or if a suspect was in custody.

At the same time, in the country’s most populous city, New York City, more than 200 people were arrested as authorities set fire to small and broke shop windows in Manhattan and the Bronx, a New York City Police Department spokesman said.

“There are packages of young people running as fast as they can, smashing windows as fast as they can and the police trying to catch them as soon as possible,” the spokesman said.

The arrests came after 1 p.m. 11 curfew began on Monday night at 11am That action followed four days of fierce police brutality protests that saw the arrest of hundreds of people, including New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s daughter, and the firing of the New York Police Department cruiser.

“Men and women in this police department will be consistent, they will be out there again to ensure people’s right to peaceful assembly,” NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said Monday ahead of expected protests. “We ask all New York citizens to participate and make it safe.”

Looting and small fires were reported in Manhattan’s Square and beyond. Hours before Monday’s curfew began, de Blasio announced that another curfew would begin even earlier Tuesday night, at 8 p.m., when it’s still easy – though he said it was controlling only a small percentage of protesters who had gotten out of hand. .

“The city has been overwhelming at the moment,” de Blasio told local news station NY1.

The curfew, imposed from Los Angeles to Philadelphia, comes in response to the death of Floyd, a black man in Minneapolis, on Memorial Day.

Floyd, 46, was killed after Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, smashed him to the ground with a knee on Floyd’s neck. The death sparked widespread protests against racism and abuse by police after Floyd’s final helpless moments were captured on video.

The uprising comes at a time when public safety resources are already stretched when cities fight the coronavirus pandemic, with many still trying to execute home-home orders.

In Minneapolis, where police had clashed with protesters and journalists covering the riots dramatically over the past few days, a calm appeared across the city on Monday night, with hundreds of people gathered at a Floyd memorial at the site where he was killed. A curfew across the city began at 10am local time.

Across the nation in Sacramento, California, about 130 companies had their windows and doors damaged and 300 buildings had graffiti on them as of Monday morning, according to the Sacramento Bee.

City officials, who anticipated more problems Monday night, imposed a curfew from 2 p.m. to 5pm local time and said the city deployed 500 members of the National Guard Monday night to protect critical infrastructure.

The growing number of curfews came when the Minnesota authorities announced Monday afternoon that Floyd’s death was officially ruled a homicide by a medical examiner.

Ali Gostanian contributed.

Source link