Home / US / Coronavirus Live Updates: Trump Aides Target Fauci

Coronavirus Live Updates: Trump Aides Target Fauci



As Fauci gets more vocal, Trump aides move to sign him.

President Trump’s advisor undercuts the country’s highest expert on infectious diseases, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, during the weekend anonymously provide information to various news outlets about statements he made early in the outbreak that they said were incorrect.

The transition to treating Dr. Fauci, as if he were a fighting political rival, comes as he has become increasingly vocal in his concerns about the national plant in coronavirus cases. He also noted his lack of access to Trump.

Aides to Trump released a list of remarks by Dr. Washington Post and other news sites Fauci converted the virus into its early stages. It contained several comments that the White House aides had privately complained about for months.

An official told The Post that several other officials were concerned about how often Dr. Fauci had been wrong.

For example, officials at the White House pointed to a statement he made in an interview on February 29 that “there is currently no need to change anything you do day by day.”

But they left out a warning that Dr. Fauci delivered immediately after.

“Right now, the risk is still low, but it can change,” he said in the interview, conducted by NBC News. “As you begin to see the community spread, this can change and force you to become much more mindful about doing things that would protect you from dissemination.”

Dr. Fauci works for the Trump administration, but the list of his statements was presented in the style of a campaign opposition research document.

A survey done for The New York Times by Siena College last month showed that 67 percent of Americans trusted Dr. Fauci when it came to the virus; only 26 percent trusted the president.

In an interview with FiveThirtyEight.com last week, Dr. Fauci that some states had the virus under control but that “as a country, when you compare us to other countries, I don’t think you can say we’re doing well. I mean, we’re just not.”

Last week, Trump told Fox News that Dr. Fauci had been wrong about many aspects of the pandemic. Dr. Fauci “is a nice man, but he has made many mistakes,” the president said.

In Texas, leaders in a county asked to return to home orders at home in response to a sharp rise in new coronavirus cases there. Minnesota reached its highest daily totals since May. And with more than 15,000 new cases, Florida reported the highest single-day total of any state since the start of the pandemic.

The US outbreak – once centered in the densely packed Northeast hubs of New York and New Jersey – is now growing across 37 states, from the worsening threat spots in the South and West to those emerging in the Midwest. Restrictions on business operations, mass gatherings and masking have become debate feeds in an increasingly polarized election year.

In Miami-Dade County, Florida, six hospitals have reached the capacity that virus cases are spiking. The increase in cases prompted Mayor Carlos Gimenez to rebuild plans for reopening by introducing a curfew and closing restaurants for indoor food.

“We have definitely had a significant increase in the number of people going to the hospital, the number of people at the ICU and the number of people at ventilators,” he said. “We still have the capacity, but it does worry me a lot.”

In Houston, elected leaders hope that a renewed order at home will curb the city’s outbreak, one of the worst in the country. “Not only do we need an order at home now, but we have to stick with it this time until the hospital curve falls, not just plates,” Lina Hidalgo, Harris County judge and chief executive of Texas’s most populous county, wrote on Twitter.

In Atlanta, the mayor has said that the city was preparing to move back to a largely standing home phase. But the Georgia governor’s office described it as “just guidance.”

In the Midwest, there are upward trends in all states except Nebraska and South Dakota.

As South Africa’s Covid-19 infections begin to rise, the country’s president has announced the reintroduction of a ban on the sale and distribution of alcohol.

“As we move toward the pinnacle of infections, it is important that we do not burden our clinics and hospitals with alcohol-related harm that could have been avoided,” President Cyril Ramaphosa said in a television address on Sunday.

South Africa has increased in cases as the country enters its coldest month, with more than 264,000 known cases and nearly 4,000 deaths, according to a New York Times database.

“There is now clear evidence that the resumption of alcohol sales has resulted in a great deal of pressure being put on hospitals, including trauma and ICU units due to motor vehicle accidents, violence and related trauma caused by alcohol,” Ramaphosa said.

The government also introduces a curfew overnight.

In other developments around the world:

  • Australian Citizens and residents returning from overseas to New South Wales, which includes Sydney, will be charged for their mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine starting Saturday, the state premier said. Mandatory hotel quarantines at a similar cost already apply in Queensland and the Northern Territory, and other parts of the country are likely to start charging travelers also in a new outbreak in Melbourne, Australia’s second largest city. The limit has been closed to non-residents since March.

  • Xu Zhangrun, law professor i Peking who criticized the Chinese government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak, was released from jail on Sunday, a week after police removed him.

  • IN Hong Konga spokeswoman for the health department said the recent outbreak of Chinese territory was worse than a peak in March due to a growing number of cases of unknown origin and clusters linked to residential areas, housing for older people and restaurants. Hong Kong recorded 38 new infections and 20 preliminary positive cases on Sunday. Authorities interrupted the city’s annual book fair on Monday, which was scheduled for Wednesday and usually draws large crowds.

The United States can continue with a execution despite the pandemic, a court ruled.

The execution of a man sentenced to kill a family could take place on Monday, a federal court ruled on Sunday, despite the victims’ relatives protesting that the pandemic would prevent them from participating.

A federal appeals court in Chicago ruled that the Justice Department may proceed with the execution of Daniel Lewis Lee, 47, who was sentenced to death decades ago for his part in the murder of a family of three in 1996.

A federal judge interrupted the execution late Friday, but the decision on Sunday by the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit put it back on track.

Several family members of Mr. Lee’s victims have urged the Ministry of Justice to impose their sentence on life in prison. But in a lawsuit filed last week, they claimed that their existing conditions, including congestive heart failure and asthma, made traveling hundreds of miles from their homes to the federal court in Terre Haute, Ind., To participate in the execution particularly risky.

Diane S. Sykes, Chief Judge of the Appeal Court, wrote in a judgment of the Appellate Tribunal that the family did not have a protected right to testify to Mr. Lee’s execution but rather had permission to participate.

Lee will be the first federal prisoner to be killed in 17 years after the Trump administration announced a campaign last year to reclaim the federal death penalty from what had been a de facto moratorium.

When the coronavirus hit New York City, many New Yorkers were allowed to leave the city. Thin blocks ended up producing just as much garbage. Mail forwarding shot through the roof.

This emigration came just when the census began once a decade. Now, census officials say that wealthier neighborhoods in Manhattan unexpectedly prove some of the hardest to reach.

Some of these census tracts include the city’s most exclusive stretches of land, such as the Fifth Avenue corridor between 70th and 35th streets, which the planning department said was “home to some of the lowest levels of self-respect in the city.”

Only 46 percent of Upper East Side households have filled in their census forms, according to a June 25 report circulated by the Department of Urban Planning’s chief demographer, Joseph J. Salvo – well below the neighborhood’s final response rate in 2010, and short of the current city level of nearly 53 percent.

Only about 38 percent of midtown Manhattan households have completed their census forms – the second worst response rate in all of New York, after North Corona, Queens, which stands at about 37 percent.

Speed ​​is just slightly better in the area that includes SoHo, Tribeca and Little Italy, which is home to wealthy residents as well as many students; these channels have a response rate of about 46 percent.

The sub-contract can have a dramatic effect, according to the department’s report. “Missing just one person in town can reduce education funding by $ 2,295 and job training by $ 281,” it said.

Officials hope many of the evacuated coronaviruses will return at the end of October, the new extended deadline for final responses to the census.

After closing in March due to the pandemic, two of Walt Disney World’s major parks, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, welcomed a limited number of temperature-controlled visitors over the weekend, with some attractions and character interactions not available as security measures.

Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios would open again on Wednesday.

“I’m so overwhelmed with emotion,” said a weeping Sonya Little, who flew to Orlando, Florida, from Birmingham, Ala., With two friends. “The last few months have been so difficult. We just felt so defeated. Being here gives me the strength to keep going. “

The reopening comes as the coronavirus continued its outbreak across Florida, with officials reporting more than 15,000 new infections on Sunday, a daily record for each state.

To ward off germs, Disney is now leaving rows of empty rides, which employees are constantly disinfecting. Face masks are mandatory, and for some visitors, the coatings quickly became wet with sweat.

“It would be much more fun without having to carry one,” said Ivan Chanchavac, 14, when he jumped off the Jungle Cruise.

The reporting was contributed by Brooks Barnes, Chris Buckley, Sheri Fink, Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura, Hailey Fuchs, Maggie Haberman, Rick Rojas, Dana Rubinstein and Mitch Smith.




Source link