Chicago restricted access to the city center by raising its bridges early Monday after a night of widespread looting and riots that led to more of the 100 people arrested and at least 13 police officers injured.
The unrest was prompted by a social media post urging people to converge in Chicago’s business district after police shot a man on the South Side around 2.30pm on Sunday.
Officials had responded to a call about a person with a gun in the Englewood neighborhood and tried to confront someone who matched the description in an alley. The man fled from officers on foot and shot at them, police say.
TREY GOWDY BEHAVES GREAT CITIZENS TO GET OTHER EXCHANGING “CULTURE OF LAWLESSNESS”
A video posted on Facebook around 6:30 p.m. falsely claimed that officers had shot and killed a 15-year-old boy. The video shows outraged residents confronting officers near the scene where officers shot and wounded an adult suspect they said had shot at them.
The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment and was expected to recover. Three officers were also taken to a hospital for observation.
Around 12:20 on Monday, hundreds of people came down to downtown Chicago, smashed the windows of businesses and disposed of goods, cash machines and whatever they could carry, police said.
CHILDREN PAY THE PRICE AS GÖRVOLVKURGER NATIONWIDE
In the morning, the city had raised its bridges across the Chicago River to prevent further unrest. Illinois State Police had blocked some highways to downtown, while the CTA had shut down train and bus services. Access was restored later in the day.
Chicago Police Supt. David Brown told reporters on Monday that access to the center will again be restricted overnight from 20.00 to 06.00
A similar plan was introduced earlier this summer after a major unrest led to the police death row in George Floyd, Minneapolis, in late May.
CHICAGO’S MAGNIFICENT MILE, GOLD COAST ZERO ZERO FOR GUN BATTLES, PLOTS
Brown said a heavy police presence will be in downtown Chicago Monday, with officers working 12-hour shifts and no days off “until further notice.”
CLICK HERE TO GET FOX NEWS APP
Brown said the suspect shot by officials had a long criminal history, including arrests for domestic battery and danger to children. He said a gun was recovered at the scene.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.