Home / US / Buffalo Wild Wings workers died after exposure to a detergent. Ten others went to hospitals

Buffalo Wild Wings workers died after exposure to a detergent. Ten others went to hospitals



The worker who died was found trying to suck the decontamination plant off the floor after an employee who began using it was overcome by steam, Burlington interim fire chief Michael Patterson told reporters.

The incident at the Burlington restaurant began around 5:30 pm, with workers and customers – some coughing – streaming out of the facility as vapors spread, witnesses told CNN affiliated WCVB.
A worker who intended to clean the kitchen floor put a [19659002] sanitizer called "Super 8" – a product of sodium hypochlorite, which itself is a major component of bleach – on the floor, Patterson said. That person quickly became ill, obviously out of steam and passed out, he explained.

A second worker "tried to suck the product out of the building when he was overcome," Patterson said.

Firefighters were called and the responders found that the other employee was suffering from nausea outside. An ambulance took that man to a hospital where he died, Patterson said.

Ten other people at the restaurant ̵

1; eight employees and two customers – checked themselves in hospitals Thursday, with symptoms including difficulty breathing, watery and runny eyes and shortness of breath, Patterson said.

They were treated with oxygen, and none of them is believed to be in serious condition, according to Patterson.

The restaurant was closed for the night. Police and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Authority will investigate, Patterson said.

"We are shocked and saddened to know about this tragic accident in our franchise-owned sports bar and work closely with our franchisees and authorities while conducting an investigation," Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement. "As the investigation is ongoing, we cannot share any further comment at this time. Further questions will need to be referred to the local authorities."

A manufacturer of Super 8 describes the product as a detergent intended for machine or hand washing detergent.

Patterson said he was told that the Super 8 is a "common product used in floor cleaning."

"For some reason tonight, it was just a reaction that led to this," he said

  Firefighters gather outside the restaurant on Thursday night.

"It smelled horrible"

Customers told CNN affiliated WHDH that they could smell a strong chemical odor , and people closest to the kitchen began to cough and move outside.

"Imagine you're in the pool, but add bleach to it. It smelled awful," Michael Burnstein told WHDH.

"I think one of the things that went through me is that we're sitting there, like, 'What are we going to do? Is everything okay? Should we even breathe in this air? & # 39; "

CNN's Carma Hassan and Swetha Sharma contributed to this report.


Source link