Jonathan Corcoran, a retired New Jersey businessman and brother of ladies Barbara Corcoran, ABC TV "Shark Tank", was found dead in April in a hotel in the Dominican Republic.
The news of his death was first reported by gossip website TMZ and confirmed to Fox News by Emily Burke, Barbara Corcoran's assistant, coming as the popular Caribbean resort making world headlines due to a rash of deaths by American tourists – many of whom became suddenly and critically ill in their hotel called puzzling and suspicious of relatives of most.
"John Corcoran went to the DR in late April from what is believed to be natural causes," Burke said in a statement to Fox news. "He often loved and visited the Dominican Republic. Barbara would like to respect the privacy of her children and not release any other information right now."
TMZ said Barbara Corcoran told the outlet that her brother, who lived in New Jersey, where they grew up, had gone to the Dominican Republic with a friend on what was his annual vacation. Corcoran said the friend, who shared the suite with his brother, found his body. TMZ said no one knows exactly what led to his death, but Corcoran told the outlet that she was told he had a heart attack. TMZ said she was not aware that an autopsy had been performed.
TOURIST THE BEAT UNDER DOMINICAN VACATION ACCESSES RESORT BY VICTIM-BLAMING
It was unclear which hotel Corcoran lived.
Requested to confirm his death, and date and place, US State Department told Fox News: "We can confirm the death of an American citizen in the Dominican Republic in April 2019. We offer our sincere compassion to the family for their loss. respect for the family during this difficult time we do not have additional information to provide. "
The news of his death comes as experts and inspectors from several international bodies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, conducted tests in the Bahia Principe properties where some of American tourists died. It was unclear if they inspected other places. The FBI confirmed to Fox News on Friday it was helping Dominican authorities investigate death. The testing and FBI involvement marked the first public indications that US and Dominican Republic officials have considered anything other than natural causes. 19659003] The death has confused people around the world because, among other things, they involved tourists whose families and friends described them as relatively healthy and showed no signs of illness before they became ill. Dominican authorities cited almost identical conditions, including pulmonary edema – where the lungs fill with fluid – for several of them. Some of the deceased who are said to have died of heart attack had not shown symptoms or had heart disease, according to their families.
Some of the tourists also consumed a drink from the room mini-bar before they suddenly became ill. Scores of people who traveled to the Dominican Republic over the past few years have reached out to Fox News with accounts of having fallen ill after having had a drink from their room minibar or buying elsewhere in their resort. Others have described having become very sick after they smelled what seemed to be strong chemicals they thought could have been insecticides or pesticides.
DOMINICIAN OFFICIALS WHO REALLY FAKE, AS SPECIAL SPECIALISTS WHICH ARE CARIBBEAN FOR THINKING TOURISTS
One of the most puzzling cases remains the death of an engaged couple, Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day of Maryland, who were killed in their room on May 30 by a holiday co-worker. Before their death, they had posted pictures on social media that said they enjoyed their vacation. They were diagnosed as having had pulmonary edema, among other conditions. Their bodies were flown back to the US this week. A lawyer representing them has promised to have an autopsy done in the United States.
Five days before Holmes and Day were found dead, a psychotherapist in Pennsylvania, Miranda Schaup-Werner, died in an adjacent hotel owned by the same luxury five-star Bahia Principe resort group. Her husband said his wife, 41, collapsed after having the minibar drink at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville. The Dominican authorities said she died of a heart attack, though her family said she was healthy.
On Sunday, Fox News learned that a Californian man, Robert Bell Wallace, died in his room in April after becoming critically ill at all – Including the Hard Rock Resort in Punta Cana.
Many American travelers have canceled, or attempted to cancel, reservations for the Dominican Republic vacation. The Daily Mail reported that Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo decided to "fly" the Hard Rock Resort, where he lived with his family after reading about Wallace's death.
"He's just careful," the news outlet quoted an unidentified friend as saying. "He doesn't want to take any chances."
In recent days, the family of a Pennsylvania woman as a vacation in the Dominican Republic said last year that she died in her room at the Bahia Principe Resort in Punta Cana after she had a drink from the minibar. Relatives of Yvette Monique Sport, 51, told Fox 29 Philadelphia that she visited the popular tourist spot in June, had a drink and went later and never went and never woke up. Her death certificate said her official cause of death was a heart attack.
"It's a complete fabrication," says Felecia Nieves, the sports sister, "that you can get so many people and they all have the same cookie-cutter outcome. It is impossible. "
CLICK HERE TO FOX NEWS APP
Nieves said she planned to reach out to other families and press for answers.
TMZ said Barbara Corcoran, one of 10 siblings, described Jonathan as "my favorite brother".