Brother of "Shark Tank" star Barbara Corcoran found dead in Dominican Republic hotel room
Jonathan Corcoran, retired from New Jersey businessman and brother of ABC TV "Shark Tank" judge Barbara Corcoran, was found dead in April in a Dominican Republic hotel room.
The news of his death, first reported by TMZ and confirmed to Fox News by Emily Burke, who is Barbara Corcoran's assistant, comes as the popular Caribbean vacation spot is making worldwide headlines because of a rash of deaths of US tourists – many of whom became suddenly and critically ill at their hotels – John Corcoran passed away at the end of April in the DR from what is believed to be natural causes, "Burke said in a statement to Fox News. "He loved and frequently visited the Dominican Republic. Barbara would like to respect the privacy of his children and is not releasing any other information at this time." "Shark Tank" judge Barbara Corcoran. (Photo by Raymond Hall / GC Images)
Corcoran told who was living in New Jersey, where they grew up, had gone to the Dominican Republic with his annual vacation, TMZ said. suite with her brother, found his body. TMZ said no one knows exactly what his death was, though Corcoran told us that he was told he had a heart attack. She added that she was not aware of autopsy having been conducted.
U.S. TOURIST BEATEN DURING DOMINICAN VACATION RESORT OF VICTIM-BLAMING
It was unclear at which hotel Corcoran was staying.
The U.S. State Department customs Fox News: "We can confirm the death of a US citizen in April 201
9 in the Dominican Republic. We offer our sincerest condolences to the family for their loss. Out of respect for the family during this difficult time, we do not have additional information to provide. "
The news of his death comes as teams of experts and inspectors from several international agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, conduct tests at the Bahia Principe properties where some of US tourists died. It was unclear whether they inspected other resorts. The FBI confirmed to Fox News on Friday it was assisting Dominican authorities investigating the deaths. and the Dominican Republic have considered the possibility of something other than natural causes.
The deaths have baffled people around the world because, among other things, they are involved, whose families and friends described them as relatively healthy, and exhibiting no signs of. illness before they fall sick. Dominican authorities cited nearly identical conditions, including pulmonary edema – where the lung fills with fluid – for several of them. Some of the tourists have used a heart condition, according to their families.
Also, some of the tourists consumed a beverage from the room minibar before becoming suddenly ill. of people who traveled to the Dominican Republic in recent years have reached out to Fox News with accounts of having fallen ill after having a beverage from their room minibar or buying one elsewhere in their resort. Others have described having gotten severely sick after smelling what seemed to be chemicals that they might have been insecticidal or pesticides. ]
One of the most puzzling cases remains the deaths of an engaged couple, Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day of Maryland, who were found dead in their room on May 30 by a resort employee. They had posted photos on social media saying they were enjoying their vacation. They were diagnosed as having pulmonary edema, among other conditions. Their bodies were back to the United States this week. An attorney representing them has been subjected to an autopsy conducted in the United States.
Five days before Holmes and Day were found dead, in Pennsylvania psychotherapist, Miranda Schaup-Werner, died in an adjacent hotel owned by the same luxury five star Bahia Principe resort group. Her husband said that his wife, 41, collapsed after having a drink at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville.
On Sunday, Fox News learned that a California man, Robert Bell Wallace, died in his room in April after he critically ill at the all -inclusive Hard Rock resort in Punta Cana.
Many US travelers have canceled, reservations to Dominican Republic vacations. The Daily Mail reported that Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo decided to "flee" the Hard Rock resort, where he was staying with his family, after learning about Wallace's death. "He's just being cautious," the news outlet quoted. unidentified friend as saying. "He doesn't want to take any chances."
In recent days, the family of a Pennsylvania woman who was vacationing in the Dominican Republic last year said she died in the Bahia Principe Resort in Punta Cana after she had a drink from the minibar. Relatives of Yvette Monique Sport, 51, Fox 29 Philadelphia said she was visiting the popular tourist spot last June, had a drink, later went to bed, and never woke up. Her death certificate said her official cause of death was a heart attack.
"It's a complete fabrication," Felecia Nieves, Sport's sister, said, "that you could have as many people and they all have the same cookie-cutter outcome. . It 's Impossible. ”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Nieves said she planned to reach out to other families and press for answers.