Contact lenses are not for everyone, but if you use them, you need to strictly observe eye hygiene to avoid nasty organisms that get up in your eye. Just ask this man from the UK who lost sight of an eye because of it.
Nick Humphreys, 29, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, plays amateur football and he needs glasses. Playing contact sports that wear glasses seems to be dangerous, so it is natural that players who need glasses should choose contacts. "In the middle of my twenties, I really started throwing myself in training and at that time I thought my glasses were a huge obstacle," he explained.
He exceeded his fear of using contact lenses and after turning to them, he would wear them most days. "On a regular morning I would wake up, snap in my lenses and go to the gym before work, then I jump in the shower before I go to the office," he said, reported by The Sun.
Sportsman goes blind after parasitic digger behind the contact lens in showerhttps: //t.co/YnU62SpVvm pic.twitter.com/y9XExfl9BA
̵1; Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) July 9, 2019  Often Humphreys had their contacts in the shower and one day in January 2018 he noticed a painful scratch on the eye and used eye drops to help control the pain while waiting for test results from the optician. The result showed that he had an infection caused by acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a small organism that can dig into the eye through a scratch or small incision.
Suddenly, two months later when he drove to work, he completely lost his vision eye, and it has not returned. "I drove to work and my vision went completely in my right eye," he reminded.
Due to the pain in the eye, Humphreys had not been able to leave the house, let alone go to work, but he knew he would somehow have to return to the doctor.
"I don't know how I managed to crash, but it didn't take me long to realize that I needed to come back to the hospital" Humphreys told the sun.
Football player blind in the eye as parasite digs inside after showering with contact lens https: //t.co/oCZEnwfNkY pic.twitter.com/Ag5HwPk5x6
– Daily Star (@ Daily_Star) July 9 2019
Adding pain and lack of vision in an eye took the physical appearance of the damage to their mental situation. "I felt absolutely the least and the only one who would encourage me to play football was no longer an option," he said.
"The situation in reality had really hit me, I would let myself go since all this happened and I was left with a nice eye that I had to cover with an eye patch that resembled something of the exorcist."
Now, two operations cleared the infection from the eye, and he can join the activities he loves, but his vision has not yet returned.
"After getting the infection I went from meeting the gym every other day and playing football three times a week to stay home for six months and losing the will to live," he told the Daily Mail. "Obviously I didn't want to be blind in my right eye, but at least knowing that the infection had gone, I could start getting my life back on track. I could finally return to work and start meeting the gym."
The restorative football player now helps raise awareness of the dangers of swimming or showering while wearing contacts through the Fight for Sight charity fight. "19659002" I can honestly say if I had the slightest thought that this was even a remote opportunity, I would never have had contacts in the first place. It is important that people out there know that this is a reality, and it can happen because of something as simple as getting in the shower. If I see my opinion back, I will never have the contact again, he says.
In a study in 2018 by UCL and Moorfield's Eye Hospital researchers, there was a threefold increase in contact lens wearer eye infections in South East England over the past seven years, Science Daily reported.
"This infection is still quite rare, which usually affects 2.5 in 100,000 contact lens users per year in South East England, but it is largely preventable. This increase in cases highlights the need for contact lens users to be aware of the risks. says the study's leading author, Professor John Dart of Moorfield's Eye Hospital.
While someone may be infected by AK, contact lens users are at the greatest risk.
Why shouldn't you swim or shower while wearing contact lenses
Swimming or showering while wearing contact lenses puts a person at risk of blindness from parasitic infection
Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a waterborne amoeba found around the world, can infect the cornea – the "clear window" on the front of the eye.
Amoeba can dig into the eye and cause total vision loss within a few weeks. 19659002] An analysis of all the events recorded over the last 18 years showed that 86 percent of patients had swallowed their lenses, according to a study published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology.
Contact lenses can create small eye discomfort which makes it easier for amoeba to attach when the eye comes in contact with water.
Like the risk of swimming, the researchers lifted the risk of rinsing lenses with tap water.
Acanthamoeba, which feeds on bacteria, can occur in all forms of water, including lakes, oceans, rivers, swimming pools, hot tubs and showers.
They can also be found in the tap water and soil.
Treatment usually involves antiseptic drops that kill amoeba, which may need to be taken every hour during the first few days, even during sleep.
Source: Moorfields Eye Hospital