Home / Health / Anxiety was diagnosed but it took years to find the real problem

Anxiety was diagnosed but it took years to find the real problem

Lorri Devlin had been told throughout her life that the troubled feelings she often experienced had A Simple cause: She was "just anxious".

At age 5, Devlin remembers being awake awake in the middle of the night by the sound of the teeth talking. Feeling disoriented and that "something was very wrong", she went into her parents' bedroom. But when she talked, the result was gibberish.

Her pediatrician, she recalled, pronounced her "a nervous child … a wound candidate." In high school and college, Devlin often felt an odd feeling of freedom. As an adult, she developed a ridge of herb tissue from biting her cheek when she was asleep. Sometimes, if she was heavily stressed, she fainted.

Over the years, Devlin, who was trained as a nurse, had attempted therapy, anti-anxiety medication and meditation to cope with her condition, which was diagnosed as panic disorder. 19659007] "I was ashamed that I was such a weak person," she said.

But almost two years ago, an event occurred on the aircraft life of the retired insurance company. After more than 50 years, Devlin finally learned the cause of the problem that had colored almost every aspect of her life.

Lorri Devlin, 60, spent 55 years knowing what she was facing to rotate around the nerves or other factors. When she discovered what the problem really was, she was shocked – and she was angry. (Family Photo)

"First, I knew massive waves of relief," Devlin, now 60, said living on Cape Cod. "Then I went through a period of being angry, not just with doctors, but for myself. I'm sorry for the younger I. I had to fight so hard just to keep myself together, but I'm proud to I came through it. "

& # 39; Lorri's nervous & # 39;

One morning while talking about the duty of everyone at her elementary school in Stoughton, Mass. , Devlin said she felt as if her body was buzzing, as a sense of inexplicable terror rolls up her torso. She worried that she could die.

Her parents told her it was another "nervous attack". Her family had a comprehensive explanation: "Lorri is nervous." And nervousness ran into the family.

"My mother was an anxious person and took it in battle," reminded Devlin, the oldest of four girls. "We went to church and prayed a lot. I felt I had to be strong – we are the Stoic Yankees – but I was really embarrassed."

Devlin learned to keep her feelings for herself.

Once, while playing softball, Devlin felt 12, accompanied by a brief inability to see or lift his arm. "You shook," said one cousin later.

At 17, she will remember to wake up scared and then call her courage and tell her mother: "I think I need to see someone."

She said she was vividly remembering her mother's answer. "She called and she looked up and said," You think you need to see a psychiatrist? Go back to bed. There's nothing wrong with you, "Devlin said.

The dismissive answer crushed, but in the 1970s, mental illness was often considered a shameful character defect. Devlin said her mother was particularly sensitive to her brother, a veteran of Second World War, had spent time in a psychiatric hospital for what is now called post-traumatic stress disorder.

Devlin said she learned to live with her feelings, knock it out through nursing school and two severe pregnancies.

Her dentist listed on The six teeth that she cracked over several years and the ridge of scar tissue along the inside of her cheek and lip, which she bitten during sleep. He also felt she was known for panic attacks.

Panic Disorder? Speaking, Devlin decided that she probably suffered from panic attacks and began therapy, which lasted for years, after describing her feelings of emancipation, disorientation and terror, The therapist with his self-diagnosis

The therapist was friendly and helpful, Devlin said, encouraging her to take up meditation and prescribe anti-anxiety drugs, which Devlin said she took sparingly. Yet the episodes continued.

The event that would change Devlin's life occurred in April 2017, when she and her other husband fled home from a vacation on Captiva Island, Fla.

Midway through the flight, Devlin had snatched up when she woke up suddenly and felt something was " terribly wrong. " The wall in the plane seemed paper thin, she said, and she felt a rolling terror. The last thing she remembers before losing consciousness asked her husband for help.

Soon Devlin woke up and felt confused and upset. She lay over the middle and the hallway seating, her head in her husband's knee. Airmen squeezed around her, inexplicably clapping her with wet brown paper towels. Devlin realized that her jeans were wet: she had involuntarily urinated. "I was devastated," she said.

An hour later, after landing in Providence, paramedics lowered her to a small community hospital.

In the emergency room, my husband told the doctor that I had said, "Something's wrong, I will faint," before I fall back into my place. After a few seconds, my eyes opened and my mouth hung open. I started rocking back and forth violently and staring straight ahead. "

The doctor asked if she had a fear of flying. He seemed to ignore her response – she didn't – and patted her arm and said he had once fainted during a flight.

At home, Devlin decided she didn't have her discharge paper had listed "seizures against syncope", which meant that doctors were not sure if her short lost consciousness was due to syncope, also known as fainting. Devlins told her that a fellow passenger who had witnessed the incident had said, " She has a fit. "She thought at all times in her life, she had experienced something similar: the lively sense of terror, the liberation. Devlin compiled a log and then wondered how she – and especially her physician – could have missed

A few days later, Devlin saw his internist, "It was not weak," she recalls, her doctor says, "You had a fit."

Devlin turned to ill Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a Harvard teaching hospital where she was previously a patient. Scrolling through the list of specialists, she decided for Bernard S. Chang, head of the epilepsy division and clinical neurophysiology.

Clearly – and overlooked

Devlin remembers feeling nervous before his first meeting with Chang. She worried that, like other doctors she had seen, he would "write her out as another troubled woman".

Instead, Chang listened to her description of the Midair incident and less dramatic episodes dating back decades.

He told Devlin that her history and medical examinations seemed to coincide with temporal lobe epilepsy. More than 3 million Americans are believed to have epilepsy, a chronic neurological disorder. The flight event was probably a tonic-clonic or grand mal attack – the dramatic seizures commonly associated with epilepsy. Devlin's inability to speak or move at other times signified partial or focal attacks.

Seizures are the result of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Epilepsy can be caused by head injury, disease or abnormal development. In many cases, Devlin is included, the cause is unknown. It is common for people with epilepsy to experience strange feelings or feelings. Those who have temporal lobe epilepsy may experience auras, which can cause the sensation of devastating, odd smell or taste, or a rolling sensation similar to being on a roller coaster.

An nxiety or depression may occur as a result of seizures or as a side effect of drugs to control them.

There is no cure for epilepsy, but in most cases drugs can control seizures.

The brain value has long been the subject of myth and stigma, which has arisen partly from its centuries-old union of being "obsessed" or demonic. Stigma, Chang said, has contributed to delayed diagnosis. Epilepsy is sometimes misdiagnosed as a psychiatric disorder, including schizophrenia.

"We see children diagnosed with [attention-deficit disorder] because they have staring episodes" – a behavior usually seen in absence.

Delayed diagnosis is not uncommon, Chang said, but a delay of 50 years is.

"It is easy now afterwards" to make the diagnosis in Devlin's case, he added, but other diseases must be ruled out.

"We were convinced enough to start her medication immediately, Chang said. Devlin then underwent an MRI to exclude a brain tumor and an EEG that records electrical activity in the brain. Both tests were normal; Epilepsy is not uncommon, says neurologists. Devlin's rapid and dramatic response to the epilepsy confirmed the diagnosis. "I was terrified," said Devlin, who felt transformed within days after starting it.

She She no longer beat her lips or cheeks inside while she was asleep. She did not wake up with aching muscles. The sensation felt gone, along with the buzzing. She felt calm. The only side effect was sleepiness she had adjusted.

" I was literally crying with relief to finally have a diagnosis, an intelligent doctor and a drug to handle my symptoms, "she said.

In addition to stigma and denial According to Devlin, her diagnosis may have been delayed at the time her seizures often occurred – during sleep – and because she was careful in describing her symptoms.

Otherwise, worrying "would make me sound good, crazy."

Failure to epilepsy was particularly striking in view of Devlin's genealogy.

One of her sisters was diagnosed with early lobe epilepsy at age 20. And an aunt experienced staring rods, even though she never got a diagnosis. (Genetics is believed to play a role in the development of certain forms of the disease.)

Devlin said the diagnosis triggered an overall assessment of her life.

"It's overwhelming," she said, adding "I wonder how my life would have been different" had she not spent decades convinced she was "just anxious" – and seriously mistaken.

Send your solved medical mystery to sandra.boodman@washpost.com. Please no unsolved cases. Read previous mysteries at wapo.st/medicalmysteries.

Source link