Home / Health / 8 cases of intestinal disease caused by parasite confirmed in southwestern Michigan

8 cases of intestinal disease caused by parasite confirmed in southwestern Michigan



SOUTH HAVEN, MI – An increase in the case of cyclosporias, a bowel disease caused by a microscopic parasite, is investigated in southwestern Michigan.

There have been eight cyclosporiasis cases confirmed since late June, according to a recent release from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. At least 14 other cases are investigated. Those affected by the parasite have reported dining in Southwest Michigan since mid-June, the release said.

People can become infected by consuming food or water contaminated with the parasite, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms occur approximately 1

-2 weeks after ingestion and include watery diarrhea, loss of appetite, ailment and nausea, the release said.

"We ask that everyone who has symptoms such as watery diarrhea and abdominal cramps and recently ate at the restaurant contact their doctor because this disease can be effectively treated with antibiotics," said MD JOHN Chief Medical Officer Dr. Joneigh Khaldun in a statement.

Information gathered through interviews suggests an exposure derived from food at the Taste restaurant in South Haven, but there is no indication that the disease was due to improper handling or preparation of the food by the restaurant itself, the publication said.

It has not shown said the Taste restaurant did something wrong, MDHHS spokesman Bob Wheaton, it could only have been food distributed to them from the distributor, Wheaton said, in which case there was nothing the restaurant could have done. fresh produce, Wheaton said.

"Cyclosporin contamination often occurs before food arriving at food distributions centers and restaurants, "said Tim Slawinski, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Food and Dairy Division Director, in a statement. "This type of contamination is not easily removed by standard product rinsing."

Smak released a statement on the company's Facebook page to warn customers. After reading about the pollution, all production from that supplier was immediately destroyed, said owner Heidi Gesiakowski.

"This is the first time in 6 years that we have experienced such a situation and we are very sad" statement read. "We are committed to the highest quality food safety standards and provide an outstanding dining experience for our customers."

Routine chemical disinfection and remediation methods are unlikely to kill the parasite according to the CDC. According to the latest CDC data, no interesting vehicles have been identified.

Other public health agencies are monitoring an increase in cases over the state and nationwide, the publication said.


Source link